Advisory Board to consider premature release of convicts
As per rule 335 of the Tamil Nadu Prison Manual Vol II.
An Advisory Board for each Central Prison & Special Prison for Women Vellore & Trichy for considering cases for premature release of prisoners undergoing imprisonment for life who have completed 14 years of actual imprisonment.
The Advisory Board for the City of Chennai consists of –
1. The Inspector General of Prisons / Additional Director
General of Prisons [Chairman]
2. The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, Chennai
3. The Commissioner of Police, Chennai
4. The Chief Probation Superintendent, Chennai
5. One or more Non-Official Members appointed by Government
6. The Superintendent Central Prison Chennai [Secretary]
In the mofussil, the Advisory Board consists of
1. The Inspector General of Prisons /Additional Director General of
2. The Sessions Judge of the Sessions Division in which the
prisoner is situated.
3. The District Collector
4. The Chief Judicial Magistrate
5. The Regional Probation Officer of the Station
6. One or more Non – Official Members appointed by Government
7. The Superintendent of the Central Prison concerned [Secretary]
The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in the city of Chennai, the District Collectors in other Districts, in the absence of the Inspector General of Prisons / Additional Director General of Prisons, shall preside over the meeting of the Advisory Board to consider the premature release of prisoners held in their respective jurisdiction.
As per section 433-A of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 the
cases of prisoners sentenced for imprisonment for life shall be placed before the
Advisory Board only when they have served atleast 14 years of actual
The Advisory Board considers the cases of eligible prisoners for their premature release. The Board, considers the behavioural pattern and social conditions of the prisoners and recommends their case for premature release.
The minutes of the Advisory Board is recorded and signed by all the members of the Board. The recommendation of the Advisory Board will have to be forwarded to the Inspector General of Prisons / Additional Director General of Prisons and the Chairman, who in turn will forward the same to Government with his specific recommendation. The Government after considering all the factors will issue appropriate orders.