- 18253 words used in the Holy Quran
- 14879 words used in the Holy Quran (without punctuation)
- 1518 words used in the Holy Quran that start with “ا”
2. This is the Book (the Qur’an), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqun .
3. Who believe in the Ghaib and perform As-Salat , and spend out of what we have provided for them .
4. And who believe in which has been sent down to you and in which were sent down before you and they believe with certainty in the Hereafter.
5. They are on guidance from their Lord, and they are the successful.
6. Verily, those who disbelieve, it is the same to them whether you warn them or do not warn them, they will not believe.
7. Allah has set a seal on their hearts and on their hearings, , and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be a great torment.
8. And of mankind, there are some who say: “We believe in Allah and the Last Day” while in fact they believe not.
9. They deceive Allah and those who believe, while they only deceive themselves, and perceive not!
10. In their hearts is a disease and Allah has increased their disease. A painful torment is theirs because they used to tell lies.
11. And when it is said to them: “Make not mischief on the earth,” they say: “We are only peacemakers.”
12. Verily! They are the ones who make mischief, but they perceive not.
13. And when it is said to them : “Believe as the people have believed,” they say: “Shall we believe as the fools have believed?” Verily, they are the fools, but they know not.
14. And when they meet those who believe, they say: “We believe,” but when they are alone with their Shayatin , they say: “Truly, we are with you; verily, we were but mocking.”
15. Allah mocks at them and gives them increase in their wrong-doings to wander blindly.
16. These are they who have purchased error for guidance, so their commerce was profitless. And they were not guided.
17. Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindled a fire; then, when it lighted all around him, Allah took away their light and left them in darkness. They could not see.
18. They are deaf, dumb, and blind, so they return not.
19. Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder, and lightning. They thrust their fingers in their ears to keep out the stunning thunderclap for fear of death. But Allah ever encompasses the disbelievers .
20. The lightning almost snatches away their sight, whenever it flashes for them, they walk therein, and when darkness covers them, they stand still. And if Allah willed, He could have taken away their hearing and their sight. Certainly, Allah has power over all things.
21. O mankind! Worship your Allah, Who created you and those who were before you so that you may become Al-Muttaqun .
22. Who has made the earth a resting place for you, and the sky as a canopy, and sent down water from the sky and brought forth therewith fruits as a provision for you. Then do not set up rivals unto Allah (in worship) while you know .
23. And if you are in doubt concerning that which We have sent down to Our slave , then produce a Sura of the like thereof and call your witnesses besides Allah, if you are truthful.
24. But if you do it not, and you can never do it, then fear the Fire whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the disbelievers.
25. And give glad tidings to those who believe and do righteous good deeds, that for them will be Gardens under which rivers flow . Every time they will be provided with a fruit therefrom, they will say: “This is what we were provided with before,” and they will be given things in resemblance and they shall have therein Azwajun Mutahharatun , and they will abide therein forever.
26. Verily, Allah is not ashamed to set forth a parable even of a mosquito or so much more when it is bigger than it. And as for those who believe, they know that it is the Truth from their Lord, but as for those who disbelieve, they say: “What did Allah intend by this parable?” By it He misleads many, and many He guides thereby. And He misleads thereby only those who are Al-Fasiqun .
27. Those who break Allah’s Covenant after ratifying it, and sever what Allah has ordered to be joined , and do mischief on earth, it is they who are the losers.
28. How can you disbelieve in Allah? Seeing that you were dead and He gave you life. Then He will give you death, then again will bring you to life and then unto Him you will return.
29. He it is Who created for you all that is on earth. Then He Istawa towards the heaven and made them seven heavens and He is the All-Knower of everything.
30. And when your Lord said to the angels: “Verily, I am going to place (mankind) generations after generations on earth.” They said: “Will You place therein those who will make mischief therein and shed blood, – while we glorify You with praises and thanks and sanctify You.” He said: “I know that which you do not know.”
31. And He taught Adam all the names , then He showed them to the angels and said, “Tell Me the names of these if you are truthful.”
32. They said: “Glory be to You, we have no knowledge except what you have taught us. Verily, it is You, the All-Knower, the All-Wise.”
33. He said: “O Adam! Inform them of their names,” and when he had informed them of their names, He said: “Did I not tell you that I know the Ghaib in the heavens and the earth, and I know what you reveal and what you have been concealing?”
34. And when We said to the angels: “Prostrate yourselves before Adam.”. And they prostrated except Iblis , he refused and was proud and was one of the disbelievers .
35. And We said: “O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the Paradise and eat both of you freely with pleasure and delight of things therein as wherever you will, but come not near this tree or you both will be of the Zalimun .”
36. Then the Shaitan made them slip therefrom , and got them out from that in which they were. We said: “Get you down, all, with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be a dwelling place for you and an enjoyment for a time.”
37. Then Adam received from his Lord Words . And his Lord pardoned him . Verily, He is the One Who forgives, the Most Merciful.
38. We said: “Get down all of you from this place , then whenever there comes to you Guidance from Me, and whoever follows My Guidance, there shall be no fear on them, nor shall they grieve.
39. But those who disbelieve and belie Our Ayat such are the dwellers of the Fire, they shall abide therein forever.
40. O Children of Israel! Remember My Favour which I bestowed upon you, and fulfill My Covenant so that I fulfill your covenant , and fear none but Me.
41. And believe in what I have sent down, confirming that which is with you, and the Injeel , and be not the first to disbelieve therein, and buy not with My Verses and the Injeel a small price , and fear Me and Me Alone.
42. And mix not truth with falsehood, nor conceal the truth while you know .
43. And perform As-Salat , and give Zakat, and Irka’ along with Ar-Raki’un.
44. Enjoin you Al-Birr on the people and you forget yourselves, while you recite the Scripture ! Have you then no sense?
45. And seek help in patience and As-Salat and truly it is extremely heavy and hard except for Al-Khashi’un .
46. Who are certain that they are going to meet their Lord, and that unto Him they are going to return.
47. O Children of Israel! Remember My Favour which I bestowed upon you and that I preferred you to the ‘Alamin.
48. And fear a Day when a person shall not avail another, nor will intercession be accepted from him nor will compensation be taken from him nor will they be helped.
49. And when We delivered you from Fir’aun’s people, who were afflicting you with a horrible torment, killing your sons and sparing your women, and therein was a mighty trial from your Lord.
50. And when We separated the sea for you and saved you and drowned Fir’aun’s people while you were looking .
51. And when We appointed for Musa forty nights, andyou took the calf , and you were Zalimun .
52. Then after that We forgave you so that you might be grateful.
53. And when We gave Musa the Scripture and the criterion so that you may be guided aright.
54. And when Musa said to his people: “O my people! Verily, you have wronged yourselves by worshipping the calf. So turn in repentance to your Creator and kill yourselves , that will be better for you with your Lord.” Then He accepted your repentance. Truly, He is the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.
55. And when you said: “O Musa ! We shall never believe in you till we see Allah plainly.” But you were seized with a thunderbolt lightning while you were looking.
56. Then We raised you up after your death, so that you might be grateful.
57. And We shaded you with clouds and sent down on you Al-Manna and the quails, “Eat of the good lawful things We have provided for you,” . And they did not wrong Us but they wronged themselves.
58. And when We said: “Enter this town and eat bountifully therein with pleasure and delight wherever you wish, and enter the gate in prostration and say: ‘Forgive us,’ and We shall forgive you your sins and shall increase for the good-doers.”
59. But those who did wrong changed the word from that which had been told to them for another, so We sent upon the wrong-doers Rijzan ) from the heaven because of their rebelling against Allah’s Obedience.
60. And when Musa asked for water for his people, We said: “Strike the stone with your stick.” Then gushed forth therefrom twelve springs. Each people knew its own place for water. “Eat and drink of that which Allah has provided and do not act corruptly, making mischief on the earth.”
61. And when you said, “O Musa (Moses)! We cannot endure one kind of food. So invoke your Lord for us to bring forth for us of what the earth grows, its herbs, its cucumbers, its Fum , its lentils and its onions.” He said, “Would you exchange that which is better for that which is lower? Go you down to any town and you shall find what you want!” And they were covered with humiliation and misery, and they drew on themselves the Wrath of Allah. That was because they used to disbelieve the Ayat of Allah and killed the Prophets wrongfully. That was because they disobeyed and used to transgress the bounds .
62. Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve .
63. And when We took your covenant and We raised above you the Mount : “Hold fast to that which We have given you, and remember that which is therein so that you may become Al-Muttaqun .
64. Then after that you turned away. Had it not been for the Grace and Mercy of Allah upon you, indeed you would have been among the losers.
65. And indeed you knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath. We said to them: “Be you monkeys, despised and rejected.”
66. So We made this punishment an example to their own and to succeeding generations and a lesson to those who are Al-Muttaqun.
67. And when Musa said to his people: “Verily, Allah commands you that you slaughter a cow.” They said, “Do you make fun of us?” He said, “I take Allah’s Refuge from being among Al-Jahilun .”
68. They said, “Call upon your Lord for us that He may make plain to us what it is!” He said, “He says, ‘Verily, it is a cow neither too old nor too young, but between the two conditions’, so do what you are commanded.”
69. They said, “Call upon your Lord for us to make plain to us its colour.” He said, “He says, ‘It is a yellow cow, bright in its colour, pleasing to the beholders.’ “
70. They said, “Call upon your Lord for us to make plain to us what it is. Verily to us all cows are alike, And surely, if Allah wills, we will be guided.”
71. He said, “He says, ‘It is a cow neither trained to till the soil nor water the fields, sound, having no other colour except bright yellow.’ ” They said, “Now you have brought the truth.” So they slaughtered it though they were near to not doing it.
72. And when you killed a man and fell into dispute among yourselves as to the crime. But Allah brought forth that which you were hiding.
73. So We said: “Strike him with a piece of it .” Thus Allah brings the dead to life and shows you His Ayat so that you may understand.
74. Then, after that, your hearts were hardened and became as stones or even worse in hardness. And indeed, there are stones out of which rivers gush forth, and indeed, there are of them which split as under so that water flows from them, and indeed, there are of them which fall down for fear of Allah. And Allah is not unaware of what you do.
75. Do you covet that they will believe in your religion inspite of the fact that a party of them used to hear the Word of Allah , then they used to change it knowingly after they understood it?
76. And when they meet those who believe, they say, “We believe”, but when they meet one another in private, they say, “Shall you tell them what Allah has revealed to you , that they may argue with you about it before your Lord?” Have you then no understanding?
77. Know they not that Allah knows what they conceal and what they reveal?
78. And there are among them unlettered people, who know not the Book, but they trust upon false desires and they but guess.
79. Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say, “This is from Allah,” to purchase with it a little price! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for that they earn thereby.
80. And they say, “The Fire shall not touch us but for a few numbered days.” Say : “Have you taken a covenant from Allah, so that Allah will not break His Covenant? Or is it that you say of Allah what you know not?”
81. Yes! Whosoever earns evil and his sin has surrounded him, they are dwellers of the Fire; they will dwell therein forever.
82. And those who believe and do righteous good deeds, they are dwellers of Paradise, they will dwell therein forever.
83. And when We took a covenant from the Children of Israel,: Worship none but Allah and be dutiful and good to parents, and to kindred, and to orphans and Al-Masakin and speak good to people , and perform As-Salat , and give Zakat. Then you slid back, except a few of you, while you are backsliders.
84. And when We took your covenant : Shed not the blood of your people, nor turn out your own people from their dwellings. Then, you ratified and you bear witness.
85. After this, it is you who kill one another and drive out a party of you from their homes, assist against them, in sin and transgression. And if they come to you as captives, you ransom them, although their expulsion was forbidden to you. Then do you believe in a part of the Scripture and reject the rest? Then what is the recompense of those who do so among you, except disgrace in the life of this world, and on the Day of Resurrection they shall be consigned to the most grievous torment. And Allah is not unaware of what you do.
86. Those are they who have bought the life of this world at the price of the Hereafter. Their torment shall not be lightened nor shall they be helped.
87. And indeed, We gave Musa the Book and followed him up with a succession of Messengers. And We gave ‘Iesa , the son of Maryam , clear signs and supported him with Ruh-ul-Qudus . Is it that whenever there came to you a Messenger with what you yourselves desired not, you grew arrogant? Some, you disbelieved and some, you killed.
88. And they say, “Our hearts are wrapped .” Nay, Allah has cursed them for their disbelief, so little is that which they believe.
89. And when there came to them, a Book from Allah confirming what is with them , although aforetime they had invoked Allah in order to gain victory over those who disbelieved, then when there came to them that which they had recognised, they disbelieved in it. So let the Curse of Allah be on the disbelievers.
90. How bad is that for which they have sold their ownselves, that they should disbelieve in that which Allah has revealed, grudging that Allah should reveal of His Grace unto whom He will of His slaves. So they have drawn on themselves wrath upon wrath. And for the disbelievers, there is disgracing torment.
91. And when it is said to them , “Believe in what Allah has sent down,” they say, “We believe in what was sent down to us.” And they disbelieve in that which came after it, while it is the truth confirming what is with them. Say : “Why then have you killed the Prophets of Allah aforetime, if you indeed have been believers?”
92. And indeed Musa came to you with clear proofs, yet you worshipped the calf after he left, and you were Zalimun .
93. And when We took your covenant and We raised above you the Mount , “Hold firmly to what We have given you and hear . They said, “We have heard and disobeyed.” And their hearts absorbed the calf because of their disbelief. Say: “Worst indeed is that which your faith enjoins on you if you are believers.”
94. Say to : “If the home of the Hereafter with Allah is indeed for you specially and not for others, of mankind, then long for death if you are truthful.”
95. But they will never long for it because of what their hands have sent before them. And Allah is All-Aware of the Zalimun .
96. And verily, you will find them the greediest of mankind for life and than those who – ascribe partners to Allah . Everyone of them wishes that he could be given a life of a thousand years. But the grant of such life will not save him even a little from punishment. And Allah is All-Seer of what they do.
97. Say : “Whoever is an enemy to Jibrael , for indeed he has brought it down to your heart by Allah’s Permission, confirming what came before it [i.e. the Taurat and the Injeel and guidance and glad tidings for the believers.
98. “Whoever is an enemy to Allah, His Angels, His Messengers, Jibrael and Mikael , then verily, Allah is an enemy to the disbelievers.”
99. And indeed We have sent down to you manifest Ayat , and none disbelieve in them but Fasiqun .
100. Is it not that every time they make a covenant, some party among them throw it aside? Nay! the truth is most of them believe not.
101. And when there came to them a Messenger from Allah confirming what was with them, a party of those who were given the Scripture threw away the Book of Allah behind their backs as if they did not know!
102. They followed what the Shayatin gave out in the lifetime of Sulaiman (Solomon). Sulaiman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Harut and Marut, but neither of these two taught anyone till they had said, “We are only for trial, so disbelieve not .” And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah’s Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew.
103. And if they had believed, and guarded themselves from evil and kept their duty to Allah, far better would have been the reward from their Lord, if they but knew!
104. O you who believe! Say not Ra’ina but say Unzurna and hear. And for the disbelievers there is a painful torment.
105. Neither those who disbelieve among the people of the Scripture nor Al-Mushrikun like that there should be sent down unto you any good from your Lord. But Allah chooses for His Mercy whom He wills. And Allah is the Owner of Great Bounty.
106. Whatever a Verse do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring a better one or similar to it. Know you not that Allah is able to do all things?
107. Know you not that it is Allah to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth? And besides Allah you have neither any Wali (protector or guardian) nor any helper.
108. Or do you want to ask your Messenger as Musa was asked before And he who changes Faith for disbelief, verily, he has gone astray from the right way.
109. Many of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) wish that if they could turn you away as disbelievers after you have believed, out of envy from their ownselves, even, after the truth (that Muhammad Peace be upon him is Allah’s Messenger) has become manifest unto them. But forgive and overlook, till Allah brings His Command. Verily, Allah is Able to do all things.
110. And perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and give Zakat, and whatever of good (deeds that Allah loves) you send forth for yourselves before you, you shall find it with Allah. Certainly, Allah is All-Seer of what you do.
111. And they say, “None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian.” These are their own desires. Say , “Produce your proof if you are truthful.”
112. Yes, but whoever submits his face to Allah and he is a Muhsin then his reward is with his Lord (Allah), on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
113. The Jews said that the Christians follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); and the Christians said that the Jews follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); though they both recite the Scripture. Like unto their word, said (the pagans) who know not. Allah will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection about that wherein they have been differing.
114. And who is more unjust than those who forbid that Allah’s Name be glorified and mentioned much (i.e. prayers and invocations, etc.) in Allah’s Mosques and strive for their ruin? It was not fitting that such should themselves enter them (Allah’s Mosques) except in fear. For them there is disgrace in this world, and they will have a great torment in the Hereafter.
115. And to Allah belong the east and the west, so wherever you turn yourselves or your faces there is the Face of Allah (and He is High above, over His Throne). Surely! Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knowing.
116. And they (Jews, Christians and pagans) say: Allah has begotten a son (children or offspring). Glory be to Him (Exalted be He above all that they associate with Him). Nay, to Him belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth, and all surrender with obedience (in worship) to Him.
117. The Originator of the heavens and the earth. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it : “Be!” – and it is.
118. And those who have no knowledge say: “Why does not Allah speak to us (face to face) or why does not a sign come to us?” So said the people before them words of similar import. Their hearts are alike, We have indeed made plain the signs for people who believe with certainty.
119. Verily, We have sent you with the truth , a bringer of glad tidings and a warner . And you will not be asked about the dwellers of the blazing Fire.
120. Never will the Jews nor the Christians be pleased with you (O Muhammad Peace be upon him ) till you follow their religion. Say: “Verily, the Guidance of Allah (i.e. Islamic Monotheism) that is the (only) Guidance. And if you (O Muhammad Peace be upon him ) were to follow their (Jews and Christians) desires after what you have received of Knowledge (i.e. the Qur’an), then you would have against Allah neither any Wali (protector or guardian) nor any helper.
121. Those to whom We gave the Book to whom We have given the Book recite it as it should be recited , they are the ones that believe therein. And whoso disbelieves in it, those are they who are the losers.
122. O Children of Israel! Remember My Favour which I bestowed upon you and that I preferred you to the ‘Alamin .
123. And fear the Day when no person shall avail another, nor shall compensation be accepted from him, nor shall intercession be of use to him, nor shall they be helped.
124. And (remember) when the Lord of Ibrahim (Abraham) [i.e., Allah] tried him with (certain) Commands, which he fulfilled. He (Allah) said (to him), “Verily, I am going to make you a leader (Prophet) of mankind.” [Ibrahim (Abraham)] said, “And of my offspring (to make leaders).” (Allah) said, “My Covenant (Prophethood, etc.) includes not Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers).”
125. And when We made the House ( Ka’bah ) a place of resort for mankind and a place of safety. And take you the Maqam of Ibrahim as a place of prayer , and We commanded Ibrahim and Isma’il that they should purify My House for those who are circumambulating it, or staying , or bowing or prostrating themselves .
126. And (remember) when Ibrahim (Abraham) said, “My Lord, make this city (Makkah) a place of security and provide its people with fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day.” He (Allah) answered: “As for him who disbelieves, I shall leave him in contentment for a while, then I shall compel him to the torment of the Fire, and worst indeed is that destination!”
127. And when Ibrahim and Isma’il were raising the foundations of the House from us. Verily! You are the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.”
128. “Our Lord! And make us submissive unto You and of our offspring a nation submissive unto You, and show us our Manasik , and accept our repentance. Truly, You are the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.
129. “Our Lord! Send amongst them a Messenger of their own (and indeed Allah answered their invocation by sending Muhammad Peace be upon him ), who shall recite unto them Your Verses and instruct them in the Book (this Qur’an) and Al-Hikmah (full knowledge of the Islamic laws and jurisprudence or wisdom or Prophethood, etc.), and sanctify them. Verily! You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.”
130. And who turns away from the religion of Ibrahim except him who befools himself? Truly, We chose him in this world and verily, in the Hereafter he will be among the righteous.
131. When his Lord said to him, “Submit !” He said, “I have submitted myself to the Lord of the ‘Alamin .”
132. And this was enjoined by Ibrahim upon his sons and by Ya’qub , “O my sons! Allah has chosen for you the religion, then die not except in the Faith of Islam .”
133. Or were you witnesses when death approached Ya’qub ? When he said unto his sons, “What will you worship after me?” They said, “We shall worship your Ilah , the Ilah of your fathers, Ibrahim , Isma’il, Ishaque , One Ilah, and to Him we submit .”
134. That was a nation who has passed away. They shall receive the reward of what they earned and you of what you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do.
135. And they say, “Be Jews or Christians, then you will be guided.” Say , “Nay, (We follow) only the religion of Ibrahim (Abraham), Hanifa [Islamic Monotheism, i.e. to worship none but Allah (Alone)], and he was not of Al-Mushrikun .”
136. Say (O Muslims), “We believe in Allah and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma’il (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Ya’qub (Jacob), and to Al-Asbat [the twelve sons of Ya’qub (Jacob)], and that which has been given to Musa (Moses) and ‘Iesa (Jesus), and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we have submitted (in Islam).”
137. So if they believe in the like of that which you believe, then they are rightly guided, but if they turn away, then they are only in opposition. So Allah will suffice you against them. And He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.
138. [Our Sibghah (religion) is] the Sibghah (Religion) of Allah (Islam) and which Sibghah (religion) can be better than Allah’s? And we are His worshippers. [Tafsir Ibn Kathir.]
139. Say (O Muhammad Peace be upon him to the Jews and Christians), “Dispute you with us about Allah while He is our Lord and your Lord? And we are to be rewarded for our deeds and you for your deeds. And we are sincere to Him in worship and obedience (i.e. we worship Him Alone and none else, and we obey His Orders).”
140. Or say you that Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma’il (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Ya’qub (Jacob) and Al-Asbat [the twelve sons of Ya’qub (Jacob)] were Jews or Christians? Say, “Do you know better or does Allah (knows better…; that they all were Muslims)? And who is more unjust than he who conceals the testimony [i.e. to believe in Prophet Muhammad Peace be upon him when he comes, written in their Books. he has from Allah? And Allah is not unaware of what you do.”
141. That was a nation who has passed away. They shall receive the reward of what they earned, and you of what you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do.
142. The fools among the people will say, “What has turned them from their Qiblah to which they were used to face in prayer.” Say, “To Allah belong both, east and the west. He guides whom He wills to a Straight Way.“
143. Thus We have made you , a Wasat nation, that you be witnesses over mankind and the Messenger (Muhammad) be a witness over you. And We made the Qiblah (prayer direction towards Jerusalem) which you used to face, only to test those who followed the Messenger (Muhammad) from those who would turn on their heels (i.e. disobey the Messenger). Indeed it was great (heavy) except for those whom Allah guided. And Allah would never make your faith to be lost . Truly, Allah is full of kindness, the Most Merciful towards mankind.
144. Verily! We have seen the turning of your face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid- al-Haram . And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces in that direction. Certainly, the people who were given the Scriptures know well that, that is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.
145. And even if you were to bring to the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) all the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), they would not follow your Qiblah (prayer direction), nor are you going to follow their Qiblah (prayer direction). And they will not follow each other’s Qiblah (prayer direction). Verily, if you follow their desires after that which you have received of knowledge (from Allah), then indeed you will be one of the Zalimun (polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.).
146. Those to whom We gave the Scripture (Jews and Christians) recognise him (Muhammad or the Ka’bah at Makkah) as they recongise their sons. But verily, a party of them conceal the truth while they know it – [i.e. the qualities of Muhammad which are written in the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)].
147. (This is) the truth from your Lord. So be you not one of those who doubt.
148. For every nation there is a direction to which they face . So hasten towards all that is good. Wheresoever you may be, Allah will bring you together . Truly, Allah is Able to do all things.
149. And from wheresoever you start forth , turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid-al-Haram , that is indeed the truth from your Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what you do.
150. And from wheresoever you start forth (for prayers), turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid-al-Haram (at Makkah), and wheresoever you are, turn your faces towards, it (when you pray) so that men may have no argument against you except those of them that are wrong-doers, so fear them not, but fear Me! – And so that I may complete My Blessings on you and that you may be guided.
151. Similarly We have sent among you a Messenger of your own, reciting to you Our Verses and sanctifying you, and teaching you the Book and the Hikmah, and teaching you that which you used not to know.
152. Therefore remember Me . I will remember you, and be grateful to Me and never be ungrateful to Me.
153. O you who believe! Seek help in patience and As-Salat . Truly! Allah is with As-Sabirin.
154. And say not of those who are killed in the Way of Allah, “They are dead.” Nay, they are living, but you perceive (it) not.
155. And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).
156. Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: “Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return.”
157. They are those on whom are the Salawat from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided-ones.
158. Verily! As-Safa and Al-Marwah are of the Symbols of Allah. So it is not a sin on him who perform Hajj or ‘Umrah of the House to perform the going between them . And whoever does good voluntarily, then verily, Allah is All-Recogniser, All-Knower.
159. Verily, those who conceal the clear proofs, evidences and the guidance, which We have sent down, after We have made it clear for the people in the Book, they are the ones cursed by Allah and cursed by the cursers.
160. Except those who repent and do righteous deeds, and openly declare (the truth which they concealed). These, I will accept their repentance. And I am the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.
161. Verily, those who disbelieve, and die while they are disbelievers, it is they on whom is the Curse of Allah and of the angels and of mankind, combined.
162. They will abide therein (under the curse in Hell), their punishment will neither be lightened, nor will they be reprieved.
163. And your Ilah is One Ilah , La ilaha illa Huwa , the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
164. Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, and the ships which sail through the sea with that which is of use to mankind, and the water (rain) which Allah sends down from the sky and makes the earth alive therewith after its death, and the moving (living) creatures of all kinds that He has scattered therein, and in the veering of winds and clouds which are held between the sky and the earth, are indeed Ayat for people of understanding.
165. And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allah as rivals (to Allah). They love them as they love Allah. But those who believe, love Allah more (than anything else). If only, those who do wrong could see, when they will see the torment, that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is Severe in punishment.
166. When those who were followed, disown (declare themselves innocent of) those who followed (them), and they see the torment, then all their relations will be cut off from them.
167. And those who followed will say: “If only we had one more chance to return (to the worldly life), we would disown (declare ourselves as innocent from) them as they have disowned (declared themselves as innocent from) us.” Thus Allah will show them their deeds as regrets for them. And they will never get out of the Fire .
168. O mankind! Eat of that which is lawful and good on the earth, and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan). Verily, he is to you an open enemy.
169. Commands you only what is evil and Fahsha , and that you should say against Allah what you know not.
170. When it is said to them: “Follow what Allah has sent down.” They say: “Nay! We shall follow what we found our fathers following.” (Would they do that!) Even though their fathers did not understand anything nor were they guided?
171. And the example of those who disbelieve, is as that of him who shouts to the (flock of sheep) that hears nothing but calls and cries. (They are) deaf, dumb and blind. So they do not understand.
172. O you who believe ! Eat of the lawful things that We have provided you with, and be grateful to Allah, if it is indeed He Whom you worship.
173. He has forbidden you only the Maytatah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a scrifice for others than Allah . But if one is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
174. Verily, those who conceal what Allah has sent down of the Book, and purchase a small gain therewith , they eat into their bellies nothing but fire. Allah will not speak to them on the Day of Resurrection, nor purify them, and theirs will be a painful torment.
175. Those are they who have purchased error at the price of Guidance, and torment at the price of Forgiveness. So how bold they are to the Fire.
176. That is because Allah has sent down the Book (the Qur’an) in truth. And verily, those who disputed as regards the Book are far away in opposition.
177. It is not Al-Birr that you turn your faces towards east and (or) west; but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allah, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masakin (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and gives the Zakat, and who fulfill their covenant when they make it, and who are As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.) in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of fighting . Such are the people of the truth and they are Al-Muttaqun.
178. O you who believe! Al-Qisas is prescribed for you in case of murder: the free for the free, the slave for the slave, and the female for the female. But if the killer is forgiven by the brother of the killed against blood money, then adhering to it with fairness and payment of the blood money, to the heir should be made in fairness. This is an alleviation and a mercy from your Lord. So after this whoever transgresses the limits , he shall have a painful torment.
179. And there is life for you in Al-Qisas (the Law of Equality in punishment), O men of understanding, that you may become Al-Muttaqun .
180. It is prescribed for you, when death approaches any of you, if he leaves wealth, that he make a bequest to parents and next of kin, according to reasonable manners. (This is) a duty upon Al-Muttaqun (the pious – see V.2:2).
181. Then whoever changes the bequest after hearing it, the sin shall be on those who make the change. Truly, Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
182. But he who fears from a testator some unjust act or wrong-doing, and thereupon he makes peace between the parties concerned, there shall be no sin on him. Certainly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
183. O you who believe! Observing As-Saum (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqun (the pious – see V.2:2).
184. [Observing Saum (fasts)] for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man, etc.), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskin (poor person) (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast, it is better for you if only you know.
185. The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion . So whoever of you sights the month , he must observe Saum that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number from other days. Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. Must complete the same number, and that you must magnify Allah on seeing the crescent of the months of Ramadan and Shawwal for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him.
186. And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near . I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me . So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright.
187. It is made lawful for you to have sexual relations with your wives on the night of As-Saum . They are Libas , for you and you are the same for them. Allah knows that you used to deceive yourselves, so He turned to you and forgave you. So now have sexual relations with them and seek that which Allah has ordained for you, and eat and drink until the white thread of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread , then complete your Saum till the nightfall. And do not have sexual relations with them while you are in I’tikaf in the mosques. These are the limits by Allah, so approach them not. Thus does Allah make clear His Ayat to mankind that they may become Al-Muttaqun .
188. And eat up not one another’s property unjustly , nor give bribery to the rulers that you may knowingly eat up a part of the property of others sinfully.
189. They ask you (O Muhammad) about the new moons. Say: These are signs to mark fixed periods of time for mankind and for the pilgrimage. It is not Al-Birr that you enter the houses from the back but Al-Birr who fears Allah. So enter houses through their proper doors, and fear Allah that you may be successful.
190. And fight in the Way of Allah those who fight you, but transgress not the limits. Truly, Allah likes not the transgressors.
191. And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah is worse than killing. And fight not with them at Al-Masjid-al-Haram , unless they fight you there. But if they attack you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.
192. But if they cease, then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
193. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah and worship is for Allah. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun .
194. The sacred month is for the sacred month, and for the prohibited things, there is the Law of Equality (Qisas). Then whoever transgresses the prohibition against you, you transgress likewise against him. And fear Allah, and know that Allah is with Al-Muttaqun .
195. And spend in the Cause of Allah and do not throw yourselves into destruction , and do good. Truly, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun.
196. And perform properly , the Hajj and ‘Umrah (i.e. the pilgrimage to Makkah) for Allah. But if you are prevented (from completing them), sacrifice a Hady (animal, i.e. a sheep, a cow, or a camel, etc.) such as you can afford, and do not shave your heads until the Hady reaches the place of sacrifice. And whosoever of you is ill or has an ailment in his scalp (necessitating shaving), he must pay a Fidyah (ransom) of either observing Saum (fasts) (three days) or giving Sadaqah (charity – feeding six poor persons) or offering sacrifice (one sheep). Then if you are in safety and whosoever performs the ‘Umrah in the months of Hajj, before (performing) the Hajj, he must slaughter a Hady such as he can afford, but if he cannot afford it, he should observe Saum three days during the Hajj and seven days after his return , making ten days in all. This is for him whose family is not present at Al-Masjid-al-Haram . And fear Allah much and know that Allah is Severe in punishment.
197. The Hajj is the well-known months , then he should not have sexual relations, nor commit sin, nor dispute unjustly during the Hajj. And whatever good you do, Allah knows it. And take a provision for the journey, but the best provision is At-Taqwa. So fear Me, O men of understanding!
198. There is no sin on you if you seek the Bounty of your Lord . Then when you leave ‘Arafat, remember Allah (by glorifying His Praises, i.e. prayers and invocations, etc.) at the Mash’ar-il-Haram. And remember Him as He has guided you, and verily, you were, before, of those who were astray.
199. Then depart from the place whence all the people depart and ask Allah for His Forgiveness. Truly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Merciful.
200. So when you have accomplished your Manasik . Remember Allah as you remember your forefathers or with a far more remembrance. But of mankind there are some who say: “Our Lord! Give us in this world!” and for such there will be no portion in the Hereafter.
201. And of them there are some who say: “Our Lord! Give us in this world that which is good and in the Hereafter that which is good, and save us from the torment of the Fire!”
202. For them there will be alloted a share for what they have earned. And Allah is Swift at reckoning.
203. And remember Allah during the appointed Days. But whosoever hastens to leave in two days, there is no sin on him and whosoever stays on, there is no sin on him, if his aim is to do good and obey Allah (fear Him), and know that you will surely be gathered unto Him.
204. And of mankind there is he whose speech may please you (O Muhammad), in this worldly life, and he calls Allah to witness as to that which is in his heart, yet he is the most quarrelsome of the opponents.
205. And when he turns away , his effort in the land is to make mischief therein and to destroy the crops and the cattle, and Allah likes not mischief.
206. And when it is said to him, “Fear Allah”, he is led by arrogance to (more) crime. So enough for him is Hell, and worst indeed is that place to rest!
207. And of mankind is he who would sell himself, seeking the Pleasure of Allah. And Allah is full of Kindness to (His) slaves.
208. O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islam and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy.
209. Then if you slide back after the clear signs have come to you, then know that Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.
210. Do they then wait for anything other than that Allah should come to them in the shadows of the clouds and the angels? (Then) the case would be already judged. And to Allah return all matters.
211. Ask the Children of Israel how many clear Ayat We gave them. And whoever changes Allah’s Favour after it had come to him, then surely, Allah is Severe in punishment.
212. Beautified is the life of this world for those who disbelieve, and they mock at those who believe. But those who obey Allah’s Orders and keep away from what He has forbidden, will be above them on the Day of Resurrection. And Allah gives (of His Bounty, Blessings, Favours, Honours, etc. on the Day of Resurrection) to whom He wills without limit.
213. Mankind were one community and Allah sent Prophets with glad tidings and warnings, and with them He sent the Scripture in truth to judge between people in matters wherein they differed. And only those to whom (the Scripture) was given differed concerning it after clear proofs had come unto them through hatred, one to another. Then Allah by His Leave guided those who believed to the truth of that wherein they differed. And Allah guides whom He wills to a Straight Path.
214. Or think you that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty and ailments and were so shaken that even the Messenger and those who believed along with him said, “When (will come) the Help of Allah?” Yes! Certainly, the Help of Allah is near!
215. They ask you (O Muhammad) what they should spend. Say: Whatever you spend of good must be for parents and kindred and orphans and Al-Masakin (the poor) and the wayfarers, and whatever you do of good deeds, truly, Allah knows it well.
216. Kitalu[Killing-Nown-qital root] is ordained for you though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.
217. They ask you concerning fighting in the Sacred Months (i.e. 1st, 7th, 11th and 12th months of the Islamic calendar). Say, “Fighting therein is a great (transgression) but a greater (transgression) with Allah is to prevent mankind from following the Way of Allah, to disbelieve in Him, to prevent access to Al-Masjid-al-Haram (at Makkah), and to drive out its inhabitants, and Al-Fitnah is worse than killing. And they will never cease fighting you until they turn you back from your religion (Islamic Monotheism) if they can. And whosoever of you turns back from his religion and dies as a disbeliever, then his deeds will be lost in this life and in the Hereafter, and they will be the dwellers of the Fire. They will abide therein forever.”
218. Verily, those who have believed, and those who have emigrated and have striven hard in the Way of Allah, all these hope for Allah’s Mercy. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Merciful.
219. They ask you concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: “In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit.” And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: “That which is beyond your needs.” Thus Allah makes clear to you His Laws in order that you may give thought.”
220. In (to) this worldly life and in the Hereafter. And they ask you concerning orphans. Say: “The best thing is to work honestly in their property, and if you mix your affairs with theirs, then they are your brothers. And Allah knows him who means mischief from him who means good . And if Allah had wished, He could have put you into difficulties. Truly, Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.”
221. And do not marry Al-Mushrikat till they believe. And indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a Mushrikah (idolatress, etc.), even though she pleases you. And give not in marriage to Al-Mushrikun till they believe and verily, a believing slave is better than a Mushrik , even though he pleases you. Those invite you to the Fire, but Allah invites to Paradise and Forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayat clear to mankind that they may remember.
222. They ask you concerning menstruation. Say: that is an Adha, therefore keep away from women during menses and go not unto them till they have purified . And when they have purified themselves, then go in unto them as Allah has ordained for you. Truly, Allah loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves .
223. Your wives are a harthakum[harvesting field] for you, so go to your field, when or how you will, and send before you for your ownselves. And fear Allah, and know that you are to meet Him , and give good tidings to the believers.
224. And make not Allah’s (Name) an excuse in your oaths against your doing good and acting piously, and making peace among mankind. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower (i.e. do not swear much and if you have sworn against doing something good then give an expiation for the oath and do good).
225. Allah will not call you to account for that which is unintentional in your oaths, but He will call you to account for that which your hearts have earned. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Forbearing.
226. Those who take an oath not to have sexual relation with their wives must wait four months, then if they return , verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
227. And if they decide upon divorce, then Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
228. And divorced women shall wait for three menstrual periods, and it is not lawful for them to conceal what Allah has created in their wombs, if they believe in Allah and the Last Day. And their husbands have the better right to take them back in that period, if they wish for reconciliation. And they have rights similar over them to what is reasonable, but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.
229. The divorce is twice, after that, either you retain her on reasonable terms or release her with kindness. And it is not lawful for you (men) to take back (from your wives) any of your Mahr (bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage) which you have given them, except when both parties fear that they would be unable to keep the limits ordained by Allah (e.g. to deal with each other on a fair basis). Then if you fear that they would not be able to keep the limits ordained by Allah, then there is no sin on either of them if she gives back (the Mahr or a part of it) for her Al-Khul’ (divorce). These are the limits ordained by Allah, so do not transgress them. And whoever transgresses the limits ordained by Allah, then such are the Zalimun (wrong-doers, etc.).
230. And if he has divorced her , then she is not lawful unto him thereafter until she has married another husband. Then, if the other husband divorces her, it is no sin on both of them that they reunite, provided they feel that they can keep the limits ordained by Allah. These are the limits of Allah, which He makes plain for the people who have knowledge.
231. And when you have divorced women and they have fulfilled the term of their prescribed period, either take them back on reasonable basis or set them free on reasonable basis. But do not take them back to hurt them, and whoever does that, then he has wronged himself. And treat not the Verses of Allah as a jest, but remember Allah’s Favours on you (i.e. Islam), and that which He has sent down to you of the Book and Al-Hikmah whereby He instructs you. And fear Allah, and know that Allah is All-Aware of everything.
232. And when you have divorced[Talaku] women and they have fulfilled the term of their prescribed period, do not prevent them from marrying their (former) husbands, if they mutually agree on reasonable basis. This is an admonition for him among you who believes in Allah and the Last Day. That is more virtuous and purer for you. Allah knows and you know not.
233. The mothers shall give suck to their children for two whole years, (that is) for those (parents) who desire to complete the term of suckling, but the father of the child shall bear the cost of the mother’s food and clothing on a reasonable basis. No person shall have a burden laid on him greater than he can bear. No mother shall be treated unfairly on account of her child, nor father on account of his child. And on the (father’s) heir is incumbent the like of that (which was incumbent on the father). If they both decide on weaning, by mutual consent, and after due consultation, there is no sin on them. And if you decide on a foster suckling-mother for your children, there is no sin on you, provided you pay (the mother) what you agreed (to give her) on reasonable basis. And fear Allah and know that Allah is All-Seer of what you do.
234. And those of you who die and leave wives behind them, they (the wives) shall wait (as regards their marriage) for four months and ten days, then when they have fulfilled their term, there is no sin on you if they (the wives) dispose of themselves in a just and honourable manner . And Allah is Well-Acquainted with what you do.
235. And there is no sin on you if you make a hint of betrothal or conceal it in yourself, Allah knows that you will remember them, but do not make a promise of contract with them in secret except that you speak an honourable saying according to the Islamic law (e.g. you can say to her, “If one finds a wife like you, he will be happy”). And do not consummate the marriage until the term prescribed is fulfilled. And know that Allah knows what is in your minds, so fear Him. And know that Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Forbearing.
236. There is no sin on you, if you divorce women while yet you have not touched (had sexual relation with) them, nor appointed unto them their Mahr (bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage). But bestow on them ( a suitable gift), the rich according to his means, and the poor according to his means, a gift of reasonable amount is a duty on the doers of good.
237. And if you divorce them before you have touched (had a sexual relation with) them, and you have appointed unto them the Mahr , then pay half of that (Mahr), unless they (the women) agree to forego it, or he (the husband), in whose hands is the marriage tie, agrees to forego and give her full appointed Mahr. And to forego and give (her the full Mahr) is nearer to At-Taqwa . And do not forget liberality between yourselves. Truly, Allah is All-Seer of what you do.
238. Guard strictly (five obligatory) As-Salawat (the prayers) especially the middle Salat (i.e. the best prayer – ‘Asr). And stand before Allah with obedience [and do not speak to others during the Salat (prayers)].
239. And if you fear (an enemy), perfrom Salat (pray) on foot or riding. And when you are in safety, offer the Salat (prayer) in the manner He has taught you, which you knew not (before).
240. And those of you who die and leave behind wives should bequeath for their wives a year’s maintenance and residence without turning them out, but if they (wives) leave, there is no sin on you for that which they do of themselves, provided it is honourable . And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise. .
241. And for divorced women, maintenance (should be provided) on reasonable (scale). This is a duty on Al-Muttaqun .
242. Thus Allah makes clear His Ayat to you, in order that you may understand.
243. Did you not think of those who went forth from their homes in thousands, fearing death? Allah said to them, “Die”. And then He restored them to life. Truly, Allah is full of Bounty to mankind, but most men thank not.
244. And fight in the Way of Allah and know that Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
245. Who is he that will lend to Allah a goodly loan so that He may multiply it to him many times? And it is Allah that decreases or increases , and unto Him you shall return.
246. Have you not thought about the group of the Children of Israel after (the time of) Musa (Moses)? When they said to a Prophet of theirs, “Appoint for us a king and we will fight in Allah’s Way.” He said, “Would you then refrain from fighting, if fighting was prescribed for you?” They said, “Why should we not fight in Allah’s Way while we have been driven out of our homes and our children (families have been taken as captives)?” But when fighting was ordered for them, they turned away, all except a few of them. And Allah is All-Aware of the Zalimun .
247. And their Prophet (Samuel) said to them, “Indeed Allah has appointed Talut (Saul) as a king over you.” They said, “How can he be a king over us when we are better fitted than him for the kingdom, and he has not been given enough wealth.” He said: “Verily, Allah has chosen him above you and has increased him abundantly in knowledge and stature. And Allah grants His Kingdom to whom He wills. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knower.”
248. And their Prophet (Samuel) said to them: Verily! The sign of His Kingdom is that there shall come to you At-Tabut , wherein is Sakinah from your Lord and a remnant of that which Musa ) and Harun left behind, carried by the angels. Verily, in this is a sign for you if you are indeed believers.
249. Then when Talut (Saul) set out with the army, he said: “Verily! Allah will try you by a river. So whoever drinks thereof, he is not of me, and whoever tastes it not, he is of me, except him who takes (thereof) in the hollow of his hand.” Yet, they drank thereof, all, except a few of them. So when he had crossed it (the river), he and those who believed with him, they said: “We have no power this day against Jalut (Goliath) and his hosts.” But those who knew with certainty that they were to meet their Lord, said: “How often a small group overcame a mighty host by Allah’s Leave?” And Allah is with As-Sabirin.
250. And when they advanced to meet Jalut (Goliath) and his forces, they invoked: “Our Lord! Pour forth on us patience and make us victorious over the disbelieving people.”
251. So they routed them by Allah’s Leave and Dawud killed Jalut , and Allah gave him the kingdom and Al-Hikmah (Prophethood), and taught him of that which He willed. And if Allah did not check one set of people by means of another, the earth would indeed be full of mischief. But Allah is full of Bounty to the ‘Alamin .
252. These are the Verses of Allah, We recite them to you (O Muhammad) in truth, and surely, you are one of the Messengers (of Allah).
253. Those Messengers! We preferred some to others; to some of them Allah spoke (directly); others He raised to degrees (of honour); and to ‘Iesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), We gave clear proofs and evidences, and supported him with Ruh-ul-Qudus . If Allah had willed, succeeding generations would not have fought against each other, after clear Verses of Allah had come to them, but they differed – some of them believed and others disbelieved. If Allah had willed, they would not have fought against one another, but Allah does what He likes.
254. O you who believe! Spend of that with which We have provided for you, before a Day comes when there will be no bargaining, nor friendship, nor intercession. And it is the disbelievers who are the Zalimun .
255. Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa , the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.
256. There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
257. Allah is the Wali of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into light. But as for those who disbelieve, their Auliya are Taghut, they bring them out from light into darkness. Those are the dwellers of the Fire, and they will abide therein forever.
258. Have you not looked at him who disputed with Ibrahim about his Lord (Allah), because Allah had given him the kingdom? When Ibrahim (Abraham) said (to him): “My Lord is He Who gives life and causes death.” He said, “I give life and cause death.” Ibrahim (Abraham) said, “Verily! Allah causes the sun to rise from the east; then cause it you to rise from the west.” So the disbeliever was utterly defeated. And Allah guides not the people, who are Zalimun .
259. Or like the one who passed by a town and it had tumbled over its roofs. He said: “Oh! How will Allah ever bring it to life after its death?” So Allah caused him to die for a hundred years, then raised him up (again). He said: “How long did you remain (dead)?” He (the man) said: “(Perhaps) I remained (dead) a day or part of a day”. He said: “Nay, you have remained (dead) for a hundred years, look at your food and your drink, they show no change; and look at your donkey! And thus We have made of you a sign for the people. Look at the bones, how We bring them together and clothe them with flesh”. When this was clearly shown to him, he said, “I know (now) that Allah is Able to do all things.”
260. And when Ibrahim (Abraham) said, “My Lord! Show me how You give life to the dead.” He (Allah) said: “Do you not believe?” He said: “Yes (I believe), but to be stronger in Faith.” He said: “Take four birds, then cause them to incline towards you , and then put a portion of them on every hill, and call them, they will come to you in haste. And know that Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.”
261. The likeness of those who spend their wealth in the Way of Allah, is as the likeness of a grain (of corn); it grows seven ears, and each ear has a hundred grains. Allah gives manifold increase to whom He pleases. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knower.
262. Those who spend their wealth in the Cause of Allah, and do not follow up their gifts with reminders of their generosity or with injury, their reward is with their Lord. On them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
263. Kind words and forgiving of faults are better than Sadaqah (charity) followed by injury. And Allah is Rich (Free of all wants) and He is Most-Forbearing.
264. O you who believe! Do not render in vain your Sadaqah (charity) by reminders of your generosity or by injury, like him who spends his wealth to be seen of men, and he does not believe in Allah, nor in the Last Day. His likeness is the likeness of a smooth rock on which is a little dust; on it falls heavy rain which leaves it bare. They are not able to do anything with what they have earned. And Allah does not guide the disbelieving people.
265. And the likeness of those who spend their wealth seeking Allah’s Pleasure while they in their ownselves are sure and certain that Allah will reward them, is the likeness of a garden on a height; heavy rain falls on it and it doubles its yield of harvest. And if it does not receive heavy rain, light rain suffices it. And Allah is All-Seer of (knows well) what you do.
266. Would any of you wish to have a garden with date-palms and vines, with rivers flowing underneath, and all kinds of fruits for him therein, while he is striken with old age, and his children are weak, then it is struck with a fiery whirlwind, so that it is burnt? Thus does Allah make clear His Ayat to you that you may give thought.
267. O you who believe! Spend of the good things which you have (legally) earned, and of that which We have produced from the earth for you, and do not aim at that which is bad to spend from it, (though) you would not accept it save if you close your eyes and tolerate therein. And know that Allah is Rich (Free of all wants), and Worthy of all praise.
268. Shaitan (Satan) threatens you with poverty and orders you to commit Fahsha (evil deeds, illegal sexual intercourse, sins etc.); whereas Allah promises you Forgiveness from Himself and Bounty, and Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knower.
269. He grants Hikmah to whom He pleases, and he, to whom Hikmah is granted, is indeed granted abundant good. But none remember except men of understanding.
270. And whatever you spend for spendings (e.g., in Sadaqah – charity, etc. for Allah’s Cause) or whatever vow you make, be sure Allah knows it all. And for the Zalimun (wrong-doers, etc.) there are no helpers.
271. If you disclose your Sadaqat (alms-giving), it is well, but if you conceal it, and give it to the poor, that is better for you. (Allah) will forgive you some of your sins. And Allah is Well-Acquainted with what you do.
272. Not upon you (Muhammad) is their guidance, but Allah guides whom He wills. And whatever you spend in good, it is for yourselves, when you spend not except seeking Allah’s Countenance. And whatever you spend in good, it will be repaid to you in full, and you shall not be wronged.
273. (Charity is) for Fuqara (the poor), who in Allah’s Cause are restricted (from travel), and cannot move about in the land (for trade or work). The one who knows them not, thinks that they are rich because of their modesty. You may know them by their mark, they do not beg of people at all. And whatever you spend in good, surely Allah knows it well.
274. Those who spend their wealth by night and day, in secret and in public, they shall have their reward with their Lord. On them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
275. Those who eat Riba will not stand except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaitan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: “Trading is only like Riba ,” whereas Allah has permitted trading and forbidden Riba (usury). So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Riba (usury) shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allah (to judge); but whoever returns [to Riba (usury)], such are the dwellers of the Fire – they will abide therein.
276. Allah will destroy Riba (usury) and will give increase for Sadaqat (deeds of charity, alms, etc.) And Allah likes not the disbelievers, sinners.
277. Truly those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and perform As-Salat ), and give Zakat, they will have their reward with their Lord. On them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
278. O you who believe! Be afraid of Allah and give up what remains (due to you) from Riba (usury) (from now onward), if you are (really) believers.
279. And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allah and His Messenger but if you repent, you shall have your capital sums. Deal not unjustly (by asking more than your capital sums), and you shall not be dealt with unjustly .
280. And if the debtor is in a hard time , then grant him time till it is easy for him to repay, but if you remit it by way of charity, that is better for you if you did but know.
281. And be afraid of the Day when you shall be brought back to Allah. Then every person shall be paid what he earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly.
282. O you who believe! When you contract a debt for a fixed period, write it down. Let a scribe write it down in justice between you. Let not the scribe refuse to write as Allah has taught him, so let him write. Let him who incurs the liability dictate, and he must fear Allah, his Lord, and diminish not anything of what he owes. But if the debtor is of poor understanding, or weak, or is unable himself to dictate, then let his guardian dictate in justice. And get two witnesses out of your own men. And if there are not two men , then a man and two women, such as you agree for witnesses, so that if one of them errs, the other can remind her. And the witnesses should not refuse when they are called on . You should not become weary to write it, whether it be small or big, for its fixed term, that is more just with Allah; more solid as evidence, and more convenient to prevent doubts among yourselves, save when it is a present trade which you carry out on the spot among yourselves, then there is no sin on you if you do not write it down. But take witnesses whenever you make a commercial contract. Let neither scribe nor witness suffer any harm, but if you do , it would be wickedness in you. So be afraid of Allah; and Allah teaches you. And Allah is the All-Knower of each and everything.
283. And if you are on a journey and cannot find a scribe, then let there be a pledge taken ; then if one of you entrust the other, let the one who is entrusted discharge his trust , and let him be afraid of Allah, his Lord. And conceal not the evidence for he, who hides it, surely his heart is sinful. And Allah is All-Knower of what you do.
284. To Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth, and whether you disclose what is in your ownselves or conceal it, Allah will call you to account for it. Then He forgives whom He wills and punishes whom He wills. And Allah is Able to do all things.
285. . The Messenger believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and the believers. Each one believes in Allah, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say, “We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers” – and they say, “We hear, and we obey. Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return.”
286. Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that which he has earned, and he is punished for that which he has earned. “Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error, our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us ; our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Pardon us and grant us Forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Maula and give us victory over the disbelieving people.”