Technical education” means programmes of education, research and training in engineering, technology, architecture, town planning, management, pharmacy and applied art and crafts and such other programme or areas the Central Government may, in consultation with the Council, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare. AICTE is mandated for planned and coordinated development of Technical Education; regulate proper maintenance of norms & standards and expansion of technical Education with Quality. AICTE has now defined the procedures and regulations for the conduct of Technical Education through Blended learning mode.
All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) was put in place for the proper planning and co-ordinated development of the technical education system throughout the country, the promotion of qualitative improvements of such education in relation to planned quantitative growth and the regulation and proper maintenance of norms and standards in the technical education system and for matters connected therewith.
The All India Council For Technical Education Act, 1987 regulates the whole field of Technical education in India.
National Eligibility Test (NET)
Higher Education Empowerment Regulation Agency (HEERA) is till in it`s conceptual level .
Distance Education programmes in higher education have now been vested with the University Grants Commission. The Distance Education Council which was the erstwhile regulator of Distance Education programmes, has been dissolved and all regulatory functions are being undertaken by the UGC. The University Grants Commission (UGC) came into existence on 28th December, 1953 and became a statutory Organization of the Government of India by an Act of Parliament in 1956, for the coordination,determination and maintenance of standards of teaching, examination and research in university education.
Distance Education Bureau works under UGC
- Central Universities
- State Universities
- Open Universities
- Deemed Universities
- Private Universities
Open University System
The Indian Institutes of Technology[IIT] for Information Technology
The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) for management education and research in India.
National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) are the national level institutes in pharmaceutical sciences
The National Institutes of Technology (NITs), are esteemed colleges of engineering and technology education in India.
National Institutes of Technical Teachers’ Training & Research (NITTTR)
- Information and Communication Technology
- Model Curriculum for First Year Undergraduate Degree Courses in Engineering & Technology and Guide to Induction program .
- Model Curriculum for Undergraduate Degree in Civil Engineering
- Model Curriculum for Undergraduate Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Model Curriculum for Undergraduate Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Model Curriculum for Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science & Engineering
- Model Curriculum for Undergraduate Degree in Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Common courses – Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths
- Model Curriculum for Undergraduate Degree in Chemical Engineering
- Model Curriculum for Undergraduate Degree in Metallurgical Engineering& Materials Science
- Model Curriculum for Mandatory Non-credit courses
- Model Curriculum for courses in Humanities and Social Sciences including Management
- Virtual Laboratories