Top Media Companies in America

1. NBC/Universal, with an annual revenue around 160 billion, owns all the NBC stations, CNBC, MSNBC, numerous cable channels including USA networks, Bravo, E!, the Weather Channel, and the movie studio Universal Pictures. As of 2013, the biggest cable operator in the US Comcast owns 51% of the company, while another corporate giant, General Electric (GE) owns the other 49%.

2.The Walt Disney Company, with an annual revenues around $ 37 billion, owns ABC, cable channels such as ESPN, the Disney Channel, A&E, and Lifetime, movie production companies like Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, and Pixar Animation Studios, which has yet to produce an unsuccessful animated feature.

3.News Corporation, with an annual revenue of 30 billion dollars, owns FOX TV network, cable channels including F/X, Fox New Network, Fox Business Network, National Geographic, two major newspapers-Wall Street Journal and the New York Post, and movie production companies including Twenty Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Pictures.

4.Time Warner, with an annual revenues of 26 billion dollars, owns cable channels such as CNN, HBO, Cartoon Network, TNT, TBS, movie studio and production companies including Warner Bros. Pictures, Castle Rock Pictures, New Line Cinema, and more than 150 magazines including Tim, Sports Illustrated, Fortune, People, and Entertainment Weekly.

5.Viacom, with an annual revenue of 14 billion dollars, owns MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, Paramount Pictures, and Viacom18, which is a joint venture with the Indian media company Global Broadcast News. 6.CBS Corporation, with an annual revenue of 13 billion dollars, owns CBS, CW, Showtime, and the major book publisher Simon & Schuster. CBS is now the leading supplier of video to Google’s new Video Marketplace.

6. Rupert Murdoch’s New Corporation, which runs Fox New Network, the Wall Street Journal, and the New York Post.