- Rajendra Prasad accepted 180 mercy pleas and rejected just one.
- Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan allowed 57 mercy petitions while rejecting none.
- Zakir Hussain did not send a single man to the gallow, accepting 22 mercy pleas.
- VV Giri too did not reject a mercy petition, and accepted three pleas.
- Fakrudhin Ali Ahmed and N Sanjeeva Reddy did not deal with any mercy petitions in their tenures.
- Zail Singh rejected 30 mercy petitions, allowing just two.
- R Venkatraman holds the record of rejecting the highest number of mercy pleas – 45. He allowed five petitions.
- SD Sharma did not hand out a single commutation, rejecting 18 pleas for mercy.
- KR Narayanan kept all mercy petitions pending.
- APJ Kalam ruled on just two pleas, rejecting one and accepting the other.
- Pratibha Patil commuted 34 mercy petitions and rejected five.
[ Law Commission of India Data]
Ram Nath Kobind