Calcutta University regulation for the Degree of Doctor of Science
Calcutta University regulation for the Degree of Doctor of Science provided, interalia as follows :–
1. Any Master of Science or Master of Science (Tech.) of the University of Calcutta, may offer himself as a candidate for the Degree of Doctor of Science provided three years have elapsed from the time when he passed the examination.
Any Doctor of Medicine or Master of Surgery or Master of Obstetrics or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in Science of the University of Calcutta may also offer himself for the Degree of Doctor of Science.
2. The thesis mentioned in Regulation 2 and the original contributions if any, mentioned in Regulation 3, shall be referred by the Syndicate to a Board of three Examiners.
3. If the thesis is approved by the Board, and if the candidate has obtained a First Class at the examination for the Degree of Master of Science or has obtained the Degree of Doctor of Medicine or Master of Surgery or Master of Obstetrics or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) in Science he shall not be required to submit to any further written examination; but he may be required by the Board, at their discretion, to appear before them to be tested orally or practically, or by both these methods, with reference to the thesis, and the special subject selected by him. The Board shall report to the Syndicate the result of the examination of the thesis, and of the oral and practical examinations, if any and if the Syndicate, upon the report, consider the candidate worthy of the Degree of Doctor of Science, they shall cause his name to be published, with the subject of his thesis, and the titles of his published contributions (if any) to the advancement of science.
4. A diploma under the seal of the University and signed by the Vice-Chancellor shall be delivered at the next Convocation for conferring Degrees to each candidate who has qualified for the degree.
5. Every candidate shall be at liberty to publish his thesis, and the thesis of every successful candidate shall be published by the University, with the inscription : “Thesis approved for the Degree of Doctor of Science in the University of Calcutta.