The Chandrayaan 2 mission will be classified as a partial success as a soft landing in an unknown, un-surveyed spot followed by exploration via a rover vehicle –Vikram has failed due unknown reason. But the orbiter is functioning fine.
- UNESCO has joined hands with Rajasthan state government to enhance music, art and craft forms, and other intangible cultural heritage of the state. According to a MoU, now UNESCO with an NGO, will build a special tourist circuit in Jodhpur, Bikaner, Barmer, and Jaisalmer within three-and-a-half years.
- The Union Health Minister Shri Harsh Vardhan launched mass media campaign of POSHAN Maah (nutrition campaign) 2019, on 5th September to promote “eat right India movement” (launched 10th July 2018) to improve public health and combat negative nutritional trends.
- The 22nd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS) is to be hosted by the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) in association with Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI) in Kochi at Hotel Grand Hyatt from February 7-9, in 2020. This biennial show would be Kochi’s first hosting after 12 years.
- Indo-US defence corporation’s 15th edition of biggest joint military exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas’ 2019 between Indian and the United States(US) at Lewis McChord Joint Airforce Base, Washington(US) started on September 5, 2019, and will continue till 18th September.
- The 28th edition of Indo-Thai CORPAT between Indian Navy(IN) and Royal Thai Navy (RTN) for the year 2019 is being conducted in Bangkok, Thailand from September 05 to 15, 2019. Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kesari and His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi participated in the CORPAT along with both navies’ Maritime Patrol Aircrafts (MPA).
Awards and Recognitions
On 5th September, an Event Horizon Telescope Team consisting of 347 scientists, produced the world’s first image of a black hole, were felicitated with Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics. It is known as the “Oscars of science” , launched by Silicon Valley entrepreneurs worth $3 million.
- ProtonMail is now in talks with Huawei Technologies about including its encrypted email service in future mobile devices as a part of the Chinese phone maker’s plan to develop an alternative challenging Alphabet’s Google ecosystem.
- PepsiCo India’s bottling partner Varun Beverages today announced that it has raised Rs. 899.99 crore through qualified institutional placement (QIP).
- A committee of the Central Electricity Authority (CEA) has suggested that a triparty agreement consisting Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the state government concerned and participating banks. In case of default by a power distribution company, the RBI could appropriate the dues from the resources, which is to be transferred from the Centre to the state concerned.
- The Enforcement Directorate (ED) yesterday questioned Jet Airways founder Naresh Goyal for alleged diversion of funds to shell companies and irregularities in aircraft lease transactions under Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
- Reliance Jio is going for bundling of its broadband packages with ‘over-the-top’ (OTT) platforms such as Eros Now, Alt Balaji, Sony Liv, Hotstar, and Voot to attract customers, to counter Bharti Airtel.
- রাশিয়ায় অনুষ্ঠিত ‘টিএস ই এন টি আর ২০১৯’ সেনাবাহিনী অনুশীলনে অংশগ্রহণ করবে ভারত। এছাড়াও যোগ দেবে পাকিস্তান, চীন , তাজাকিস্তান ,কাজাকিস্তান, কিরগিস্তান এবং উজবেকিস্তান।
- ২০১৯ গোল্ড রিসার্ভ নেশন তালিকায় ভারতের স্থান নবম।
- বেলজিয়ান গ্র্যান্ড প্রীক্স ২০১৯ শিরোপা জিতলেন মোনাকোর ফেরারি রেসিং ড্রাইভার চার্লস লেক্লেরকে(Charles Leclerc)।
- कर्मचारी राज्य बिमा निगम[EPF] ने भारतीय स्टेट बैंक के साथ समझौता ज्ञापन पर हस्ताक्षर किये है ।
- कारगिल विजय दिवस की 20वीं वर्षगांठ के अवसर पर वायुसेना कारगिल से कोहिमा नामक अल्ट्रा मैराथन का आयोजन किया है। 4500 किलोमीटर की इस मैराथन को ‘कारगिल टू कोहिमा : ग्लोरी रन” नाम दिया गया है।
- रक्षा मंत्री राजनाथ सिंह ने हाल ही में दक्षिण कोरिया में ‘सीओल रक्षा वार्ता 2019’ को संबोधित किया। इस रक्षा वार्ता की थीम ‘एकजुट होकर शांति स्थापना : चुनौतियाँ तथा विज़न’ थी। रक्षामंत्री तीन दिवसीय दक्षिण कोरिया की यात्रा पर गये हैं।
- हिंदुजा ग्रुप की कम्पनी अशोक लेलैंड हैवी ड्यूटी ट्रक के लिए BS-VI प्रमाणीकरण हासिल करने वाली पहली वाणिज्यिक वाहन निर्माता कंपनी बन गयी है। शुरुआत में इन ट्रकों को एनसीआर-राजस्थान जैसे क्षेत्रों में बेचा जायेगा, जहाँ पर बीएस-VI इंधन उपलब्ध है।
- Today a Delhi court dismissed bail applications of middleman Christian Michel, arrested in connection with AgustaWestland VVIP chopper case.
- Madras High Court Chief Justice Vijaya K Tahilramani has resigned as Supreme Court Collegium declined her request for reconsideration of transfer to Meghalaya.
TODAY’S REVIEW (August 2019)
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)on 8th August increased the monetary limit for an appeal before the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) to Rs. 50 lakh from Rs .20 lakh. It was done to reduce litigation.
- A two-day exhibition on DAE spinoff Technologies for non-power applications, organised by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), was inaugurated by Shri Rakesh Gupta, chairman of UPSC at New MotiBagh recreation club, New Delhi.
- On 9th August the President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind approved the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019. The Ministry of Law and Justice issued Gazette Notification in this regard.
- Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited, and Microsoft Corporation, jointly announced a 10-year long-term strategic relationship to accelerate the digital transformation of Indian economy and society.
HISTORY OF MOON MISSION
- The first mission to the Moon was planned by the US in August 17, 1958, but the launch of Pioneer 0 was unsuccessful.
- The first successful mission to the Moon was Luna 1 by the USSR on January 4, 1959.
- August 1958 to November 1959, the USSR launched 14 missions, of these, only three — Luna 1, Luna 2 and Luna 3 — were successful.
- The Ranger 7 mission launched on July 1964 by the USA took close-up pictures of the Moon for the first time.
- Luna 9, launched by the USSR in January 1966 was credited for first lunar soft landing and for taking first pictures from the lunar surface.
Women who stressed during pregnancy are at greater risk of having children with a personality disorder.
The research, published in the British Journal of Psychiatry, is the first to provide evidence of an association between prenatal stress and personality disorders.
“To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study examining the association between maternal stress during pregnancy and the later development of personality disorder in the exposed offspring. Our results suggest that exposure to stress throughout gestation leads to a more than threefold increase in the odds of personality disorder in the offspring after controlling for parental psychopathology, maternal smoking during pregnancy and antenatal depression. When categorising individuals based on the level of stress reported, those exposed to severe stress showed consistently greater odds ratios compared with those exposed to moderate stress, reaching upwards of a ninefold increase in the odds of personality disorder in the offspring. This suggests that the subjective intensity of the experienced stress may moderate the impact of the stress. We also found that the effect of prenatal stress is independent of comorbid psychiatric disorders because the association persisted after adjusting for diagnoses of a depressive, anxiety or psychotic disorder”.
“These results are in line with previous research examining prenatal stress and its impact on the mental health of offspring. Previously, prenatal stress has been associated with an increased risk of offspring mood disorder, schizophrenia and anxiety. These results suggest that prenatal stress is a nonspecific risk factor for mental illness, and also supports current theories suggesting that psychiatric disorders may not be independent constructs but rather share common aetiologies and symptoms, and differ mainly in their expression”. [The British Journal of Psychiatry-Published online by Cambridge University Press: 06 September 2019]
Categories: Current Affairs