Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday congratulated a 16-year-old boy for becoming the youngest student to pass the Tenali 14 level “Maha Pariksha” examination. PM Modi in a tweet said: “History was created yesterday by 16-year-old Priyavrata son of Smt Aparna and Sri Devadatta Patil While studying Veda and Nyaya from his father, he studied all Vyakarana Maha Granthas from Sri Mohana Sharma and passed 14 levels of Tenali Pariksha, Youngest to pass the MahaPariksha.” The Tenali examination having 14 levels is taken twice a year by the students studying the “Shastras”.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the annual high-level UN General Assembly session on September 27 and will have a packed agenda of bilateral and multilateral engagements during his stay in New York.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has retrieved images and located the lander Vikram on the moon on September 8. It was spotted about half a kilometer away from its intended touchdown point. ISRO is now analyzing them for a clear understanding of the lander’s condition.
- Women and Child Development and Textiles Minister Smriti Irani announced that the Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) increased by 13 points nationally from 918 in 2014-15 to 931 in 2018-19.the increase took place after the implementation of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) programme.
- According to the official sources, there has been a huge increase in Chinese deep-sea fishing trawlers in the southern Indian Ocean far from the Chinese coast which has raised concerns in the government and the security establishment.
Awards and Recognitions
The founder and Chairman of Vedanta Resources Limited, Anil Agarwal was honoured with the lifetime achievement award at the 19th Annual Asian Achievers Awards 2019 in London.
- British Airways today announced that it has been forced to cancel almost all its UK flights due to the strike made by pilots.
- U.S. President Donald Trump canceled peace talks with Afghanistan’s Taliban leaders after the insurgent group said that it was behind an attack in Kabul that killed an American soldier and 11 other people.
- Thousands of students formed human chains outside schools across Hong Kong today to show solidarity after violent weekend clashes to push for democratic reforms in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) today said that it has approved Japan-based Mitsubishi Corporation for increasing stake in TVS Automobile Solutions Private limited from 3.26 to 25 percent.
- The Reserve Bank of India has selected Daffodil Software Pvt Ltd to develop a mobile phone-based application for visually impaired people to identify currency notes. An internet connection will not be required for this proposed mobile application.
- The Asian Development Bank approved $ 200 million (about Rs 1,400 crore) loan to upgrade 2,100 kilometers of rural roads in Maharashtra’s 34 districts, for better connection of rural areas with markets and services.
- State Bank of India (SBI), has cut its key lending rate by 10 basis points across all tenures, applicable from September 10. The one-year Marginal Cost of funds based Lending Rate (MCLR) will come down to 8.15 percent from 8.25 percent. It has also reduced interest rates on term deposits.
- প্রতি বছরের মতো এবছর ও ৮ই সেপ্টেম্বর বিশ্ব সাক্ষরতা দিবস পালন করা হলো.এবারের থিম ছিল “লিটারেসি এন্ড মাল্টিলিঙ্গুয়ালিজম” ।
- তেলেঙ্গানার নিজামাবাদ জেলার লাক্কাম্পাল্লি তে প্রথম মেগা ফুড পার্ক এর উদযাপন করলেন হারসীমাত কাউর ।
চীন সারা দেশ ব্যাপী ফেস রিকগনিশন পেমেন্ট সিস্টেম চালু করলো ।
- মুম্বাই এ মেক ইন ইন্ডিয়ার আওতায় প্রথম মেট্রো কোচের উদ্বোধন করলেন প্রধানমন্ত্রী শ্রী নরেন্দ্র মোদী ।
- भारत के नई दिल्ली में 6वीं भारत-चीन सामरिक आर्थिक वार्ता का आयोजन किया जा रहा है। इस वार्षिक वार्ता में भारत की ओर से नीति आयोग तथा चीन की ओर से राष्ट्रीय विकास व सुधार आयोग (NDRC) हिस्सा लेता है। इस वार्षिक सम्मेलन के आयोजन बारी- बारी से नई दिल्ली तथा बीजिंग में किया जाता है।
- हाल ही में क्लाइमेट रेसिलिएंट ऑब्सेर्विंग सिस्टम्स प्रमोशन कौंसिल (CROSPC) ने ‘मिड मानसून-2019 लाइटनिंग’ नामक रिपोर्ट जारी की है। इस रिपोर्ट के मुताबिक अप्रैल से जुलाई के बीच देश के ओडिशा में सर्वाधिक आसमानी बिजली गिरने की घटनाएं सामने आई हैं। इस रिपोर्ट में महाराष्ट्र दूसरे स्थान पर जबकि कर्नाटक तीसरे स्थान पर है। आसमानी बिजली गिरने के कारण देश में कुल 1,311 मौते हुई हैं, इसमें उत्तर प्रदेश में सर्वाधिक 224 मौतें हुई हैं।
- भारत के पहला गार्बेज कैफ़े छत्तीसगढ़ के अंबिकापुर शहर में खोला जायेगा, यह अंबिकापुर म्युनिसिपल कारपोरेशन की पहल है। इसका उद्देश्य अंबिकापुर को प्लास्टिक मुक्त शहर बनाना है। यह एक विशेष प्रकार का कैफ़े होगा। इस कैफ़े में निर्धन तथा कचरे का काम करने वाले लोगों को एक किलोग्राम प्लास्टिक के बदले मुफ्त में भोजन दिया जायेगा। आधा किलोग्राम प्लास्टिक के बदले उन्हें नाश्ता दिया जायेगा।
TODAY’S REVIEW (August 2019)
- The government made a significant move on safety measures by making it mandatory to wear headgear of prescribed standards, for children above 4 years of age. This safety measures for the children had been included in the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) act 2019, which was passed by the government recently.
- According to an analysis of the Periodic Labour Force Survey 2017-18, conducted by the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO), it was found that 33% of India’s skilled youth are jobless. 4 out of 10 youth who received vocational training are out of the labour force.
- On August 12, 2019, Budget hotel chain Oyo Hotels and Homes have partnered with ACKO General Insurance to provide a complimentary insurance cover at its hotels across India. The visitors will get insurance protection against accidental death, baggage damage, accidental medical expenses amongst other benefits like OPD (Outpatient Department) treatment, etc during their stay.
- The Kajin Sara Lake (Singar), located at an altitude of 5,200 meters in Manang district of Nepal is all set to record as the world’s highest lake. It will replace the Tilicho lake, which is the current world’s highest lake situated at an altitude of 4,919 meters in Nepal(also in Manang) measures 4 km long, 1.2 km wide and around 200 meters deep.
AUGUST REVIEW [Cabinet Decisions]
- The Government has given its approval for increasing the speed of the Delhi-Howrah route (including Kanpur-Lucknow) to 160 Kmph’ at a total cost of Rs. 6,685 cr by 2022-23. This will ensure improved speed, service, safety and create capacity. Under Mission Raftaar, Indian Railways is working in mission.
- The Government has approved Ministry of Railways plan to construct the New Line between Vaibhavwadi – Kolhapur (now Shri Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj Terminus) (108 km) with an estimated cost of Rs. 3,439 crore.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given ex-post-facto approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Tunisia on Cooperation in the Exploration and Use of Outer space for Peaceful Purposes.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Ratification of the amended Framework Agreement of the International Solar Agreement (ISA) for opening up the ISA membership to all countries that are members of United Nations.
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री कमलनाथ की अध्यक्षता में आज हुई मंत्रि-परिषद की बैठक में निर्णय लिया गया कि इन्दिरा गृह ज्योति योजना में पात्र उपभोक्ताओं को प्रथम 100 यूनिट तक की खपत पर अधिकतम 100 रूपये का बिल दिया जाएगा।
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of the agreement between the National Medicinal Plants Board, Ministry of AYUSH of the Republic of India and the National Institute of Health of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Peru.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for the establishment of 75 additional Government Medical Colleges by 2021-22 to add 15,700 MBBS seats.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for providing a lump sum export subsidy @ Rs. 10,448 per Metric Tonne (MT) to sugar mills for the sugar season 2019-20.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal for Review of Foreign Direct Investment on various sectors. FDI in Single Brand Retail Trading (SBRT) was announced in Union Budget Speech of Finance Minister. Some of the sectors include Defence, Construction Development, Trading, Pharmaceuticals, Power Exchanges, Insurance, Pension, Other Financial Services, Asset reconstruction Companies, Broadcasting and Civil Aviation.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given ex-post facto approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Gambia in the Field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has been apprised of the amendments/changes in the National Medical Commission Bill 2019.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given ex-post facto approval for the Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Republic of Guinea on Cooperation in the Field of Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given ex-post facto approval for the Establishment of an International Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI) along with its supporting Secretariat Office in New Delhi.
KNOW THE NAME OF THE TRIBUNALS / BOARDS IN INDIA
1 Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (ATE)
2 Armed Force Tribunal
3 Authority for Advance Rulings
4 Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC)
5 Central Administrative Tribunal
6 Company Law Board
7 Competition Commission of India (CCI)
8 Competition Appellate Tribunal (CAT)
9 Copyright Board
10 Customs Excise And Service Tax Appellate Tribunal
11 Cyber Appellate Tribunal
12 Employees Provident Fund Appellate Tribunal
13 Income Tax Appellate Tribunal
14 Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA)
15 Intellectual Property Appellate Board
16 National Green Tribunal
17 Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
18 Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT)
19 Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)
Categories: Current Affairs