PAN-Aadhaar linking deadline extended to December 31 from September 30: CBDT
- India’s response to Pakistan at UNGA: In a befitting reply to Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan’s speech on Friday at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), India while exercising its right of reply said Khan’s threat of unleashing nuclear devastation qualifies as brinkmanship.
- Modi invoked ancient Tamil poet: Prime Minister Narendra Modi invoked the nearly three-millenia old Tamil poet and philosopher Kaniyan Poongundranar in his United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) speech on Friday to highlight the essence of Indian unity in diversity and emphasise the feeling of kinship among all people in the world.
- Narada Sting case: Trinamool Congress (TMC) MP Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar on Saturday said that she accepts taking “donations” from journalist Mathew Samuel who had broadcast a sting on his Narada news portal in 2016.
- PM Modi: On friday emplaned for New Delhi after delivering a speech at the 74th session of the UN General Assembly and holding a series of bilaterals. The PM also met CEOs of several top global companies in Houston.
- RSS: Senior RSS functionary Krishna Gopal said that Khan has ended up spreading the RSS’ name and prayed that the Pakistan prime minister does not stop now. The RSS is only in India and for India. It has no branch anywhere else in the world. Why is Pakistan angry with us? It means if it is angry with Sangh, then it is angry with India. The RSS and India have now become synonymous.
- SC sets up Constitution bench to hear pleas against Article 370 abrogation
- China backs Pakistan: Raising the Kashmir issue at the UN, China has told the General Assembly that the “dispute” should be peacefully and properly addressed in accordance with the UN Charter, Security Council resolutions and the bilateral agreement. On the other hand, India on Saturday took strong note of reference made by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang to Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh in his address at the UN General Assembly.
- London: Authorities in London have referred Prime Minister Boris Johnson to a police complaints body to see if he should face a criminal investigation over links to an American businesswoman who allegedly received favorable treatment because of her friendship with him during his time as mayor.
- UNGA: India slams China for Kashmir comment at UN, takes jibe at PoK road project.
- UAS: Democrats charged aggressively into an impeachment investigation of President Donald Trump on Friday, ordering Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to turn over Ukraine-related documents and scheduling testimony for witnesses to alleged abuse of power by the U.S. leader.
- RBI: The Reserve Bank has initiated Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) against Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) due to high level of bad loans, lack of sufficient capital to manage risks and negative return on assets for two consecutive years, the private sector lender said on Saturday.
- Mumbai: The rupee spurted by 32 paise to close at a nearly two-month high against the US currency on Friday as crude oil prices receded following reports that Saudi Arabia had agreed on a temporary ceasefire in Yemen. The domestic currency closed higher by 0.44 per cent at 70.56 to the US dollar, a level not seen since August 2 when it had ended at 69.60.
- PSU: The government today set October 15 as the deadline for central PSUs to clear overdue payments to vendors and contractors as it looks to lift economic growth from six-year low by boosting expenditure.
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: India`s largest individual investor, said the only solution to unemployment is strong growth.
Current Supreme Court Judgments
- Md. Abrar Vs. Meghalaya Board of Wakf & ANR-26/09/2019 - WAKF- in order to establish a claim of hereditary succession to mutawalliship, the intention of the waqif, as manifested either through the directions given in the waqf deed or the creation of a custom, is of paramount importance
- Leeladhar (D) through LRS. Vs. Vijay Kumar (D) through LRS-26/09/2019 - Specific performance of the contract-The agreement was an agreement to sell and after entering into the agreement to sell, Appellant received the full sale consideration and handed over the possession to Respondent, the question of exercising any discretionary favour to the appellant does not arise.
- Central Bureau of Investigation etc. Vs. Mrs. Pramila Virendra Kumar Agarwal & ANR. etc 25/09/2019 - PREVENTION OF CORRUPTION-The absence of sanction no doubt can be agitated at the threshold but the invalidity of the sanction is to be raised during the trial. In the instant facts, admittedly there is a sanction though the accused seek to pick holes in the manner the sanction has been granted and to claim that the same is defective which is a matter to be considered in the trial.
- Jignesh Shah & ANR. Vs. Union of India & ANR-25/09/2019 - A winding up proceeding is a proceeding 'in rem' and not a recovery proceeding
- Govindbhai Chhotabhai Patel & Ors. Vs. Patel Ramanbhai Mathurbhai-23/09/2019 - In the absence of any evidence of any forgery or fabrication and in the absence of specific denial of the execution of the gift deed, the Donee was under no obligation to examine one of the attesting witnesses of the gift deed.
Sep 28, 2019
Categories: Current Affairs