DNS stands for domain name system
DNS is an Internet service that translates a domain name into IP addresses.
This query is performed by a Domain Name Server (DNS server) or servers nearby that have been assigned responsibility for that hostname. You can think of a DNS server as a phone book for the internet.
A DNS server maintains a directory of domain names and translates them to IPs.
Example of Common DNS Records
- A: Indicates the IP address of the domain.
- AAAA: IPV6 address record.
- CNAME: Canonical name, used for making a domain alias.
- NS: Name server, indicates which name server is authoritative for the domain.
- MX: Mail exchange, a list of mail exchange servers used for the domain.
- TXT: Administrator record use for domain facts and verifications.
- SRV: Service, defines the TCP service the domain operates on.
- PTR: Pointer record, maps an IPv4 address to CNAME.
- SOA: State of authority, stores information about when domain was updated.
LOOKUP IP ADDRESS OR HOSTNAME
IP address or hostname 184.108.40.206
Region: West Bengal (WB) Postal code 700040
Country India (IN)
Continent Asia (AS)
Coordinates 22.5626 (lat) / 88.363 (long)
Time 2019-10-21 21:19:52 (Asia/Kolkata)
IP address: 220.127.116.11
Provider: Alliance Broadband Services Pvt. Ltd.
Categories: Digital and Web Technology