The National Population Register (NPR) is a Register of usual residents of India
1. The National Population Register (NPR) is a Register of usual residents of the country. It is being prepared at the local (Village/sub-Town), sub-District, District, State and National level under provisions of the Citizenship Act 1955 and the Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003. It is mandatory for every usual resident of India to register in the NPR. A usual resident is defined for the purposes of NPR as a person who has resided in a local area for the past 6 months or more or a person who intends to reside in that area for the next 6 months or more.
2. The objective of the NPR is to create a comprehensive identity database of every usual resident in the country. The database would contain demographic as well as biometric particulars.
C. Demographic Particulars
3. The following demographic details of every individual are required for every usual resident:
- Name of person
- Relationship to head of household
- Father’s name
- Mother’s name
- Spouse’s name (if married)
- Date of Birth
- Marital status
- Place of birth
- Nationality (as declared)
- Present address of usual residence
- Duration of stay at present address
- Permanent residential address
- Educational qualification
D. Present Status
The data for National Population Register was collected in 2010 alongwith the houselisting phase of Census of India 2011. The updation of this data was done during 2015 by conducting door to door survey. The digitisation of the updated information has been completed. Now it has been decided to update the National Population Register along with the Houselisting phase of Census 2021 during April to September 2020 in all the States/UTs except Assam. A Gazette notification to this effect has already been published by the Central Government.
Connected Laws :
- The Census Act, 1948
- The Census Rules, 1990
- The Citizenship Act, 1955
- The Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969
- ORGI Gazette Notification No – 362 dated 27-02-2009
- ORGI Gazette Notification No -588 dated 08-04-2009
- ORGI Gazette Notification No – 381 dated 03-07-2009
- ORGI Gazette Notification No -797 dated 26-04-2010
- ORGI Gazette Notification No – 435 dated 02-05-2010
10. ORGI Gazette Notification No – 1990 dated 25-09-2010
11. Rules under Section 6A of the IT (Amendment) Act-2008, Notification No – GSR 316(E) dated 14-04-2011 regarding the ‘The Information Technology (Electronic Service Delivery) Rules, 2011 – Dept.of IT, MoCIT
12. ORGI Notification dated 08-09-2014
13. ORGI Gazette Notification (Amendent the Census Rules 1990 ) dated 19-06-2018
14. ORGI Gazette Notification (Pre-Test Notification for Census 2021 ) dated 28-06-2019
Director of Census in a State or Union territory appointed by the Central Government under the Census Act, 1948 (37 of 1948), who shall also function as the Director of Citizen Registration in that State, or as the case may be, in the Union territory; [The Citizenship (Registration Of Citizens And Issue Of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003]
The Registrar General of Citizen Registration shall establish and maintain the National Register of Indian Citizens. The National Register of Indian Citizens shall be divided into sub-parts consisting of the State Register of Indian Citizens, the District Register of Indian Citizens, the Sub-district Register of Indian Citizens and the Local Register of Indian Citizens and shall contain such details as the Central Government may, by order, in consultation with the Registrar General of Citizen Registration, specify.[The Citizenship (Registration Of Citizens And Issue Of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003]
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
(OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR GENERAL, INDIA)
New Delhi, the 25th June, 2019
S.O. 2221(E).—In exercise of the powers conferred by section 17A of the Census Act, 1948 (37 of 1948), the Central Government hereby extends the provisions of the said Act, for conduct of pre-test of Census of India, 2021.
The pre-test shall be conducted from 12th August, 2019 to 30th September, 2019 in all the States and Union Territories.
VIVEK JOSHI, Registrar General and Census Commissioner
You must be logged in to post a comment.