Catholic Bishops’ Conference In Sri Lanka (Incorporation) Act
(No. 17 of 1983)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE CATHOLIC BISHOPS’ CONFERENCE IN SRI LANKA
1. This Act may be cited as the Catholic Conference in Sri Lanka (Incorporation) Act, No. 17 of 1983.
Incorporation of the Catholic Bishops Conference in Sri Lanka
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference in Sri Lanka (hereinafter referred to as the ” Conference “) or shall hereinafter be admitted as members of the Corporation hereby constituted (hereinafter referred to as the Corporation) shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession, under the name and style of the “Catholic Bishops’ Conference in Sri Lanka” and by that name shall and may sue and be sued in all courts with full power and authority to have and to use a common seal and to change, alter and renew the same at its discretion.
3. The general objects of the Conference shall be-
(a) to jointly exercise the pastoral office of the Bishops in Sri Lanka by promoting the religious betterment and welfare of the people entrusted to their care;
(b) to foster more efficaciously works for the good of the religion;
(c) to establish relations with other Bishops’ Conferences especially those of neighboring countries in matters of common interest;
(d) to promote, foster and protect the interests of Catholicism and of the Catholics and to safeguard the rights and privileges of the Catholics; and
(e) to undertake charitable and human development activities.
Rules of the Corporation
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time at any general meeting of the members and by a majority of the members present and voting to make such rules not inconsistent with this Act as the Conference may deem expedient according to the laws and usages of the Roman Catholic Church for the admission, withdrawal or expulsion of members, for the establishment of the Boards, Committees, Commissions and Centers and conduct of the duties of such Boards, Committees, Commission and Centres and of the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation, for the procedure to be followed in the transaction of business and otherwise generally for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) Such rules when made may at a like meeting, be altered, added to, amended or cancelled, by a majority of members present and voting.
Members of the Corporation, subject to rules
5. All members of the Corporation shall at all times be subject to the rules for the time being of the Corporation.
Power of Corporation, to hold property
6. The Corporation shall be able and capable in law to take and hold any property both movable and immovable which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation with full power to sell mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
Vesting of property
(1) On the coming into operation of this Act, all property of the Conference both movable and immovable whether held in the name of the Conference or in the name of any person or persons in trust for the Conference or for the benefit of any Seminary, Institution or Centre established or maintained by the Conference shall be and is hereby vested in the Corporation and such property together with all property hereafter to be acquired both movable and immovable and all subscriptions, donations, loans and other moneys received or to be received shall be held by the said Conference for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules for the time being of the Corporation.
(2) Any instrument of conveyance, transfer or assignment executed by the Archbishop of Colombo or the Bishop of Galle or the Bishop of Kandy or the Bishop of Jaffna or the Bishop of Manner or the Bishop of Trincomalee Batticaloa or the Bishop of Chilaw or the Bishop of Anuradhapura or the Bishop of Badulla in favour of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference in Sri Lanka of all the property movable or immovable which by reason of the incorporation of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference in Sri Lanka becomes subject to the administration of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference in Sri Lanka, shall be deemed to be an instrument chargeable under Part I item 23(7) of Schedule A to the Stamp Ordinance.
General powers of the Corporation
8. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the aims and objects of the Conference or any one of them including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise moneys with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations, to invest its funds and to engage, employ and dismiss personnel required for the carrying out of the objects of the Conference.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others
9. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka or of any body politic or corporate or of any other persons except such as are mentioned in this Act and those claiming by, from or under them.