Death certificate of Pope John Paul II (2005)
I certify that His Holiness John Paul II (Karol Wojtyła) born in Wadowice (Kraków, Poland) the 18th of May 1920, resident of Vatican City, expired at 9:37 on the evening of April 2, 2005 in his apartment in the Apostolic Vatican Palace (Vatican City) from
- Septic shock
- Irreversible Cardiovascular Collapse
The patient was affected with:
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Progressive episodes of acute respiratory insufficiency and resultant tracheotomy
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy complicated by Urosepsis
- Hypertensive cardiopathy and Ischemia
- Death was ascertained and established through electrocardiogram readings taken over a period of 20 minutes.
I certify that the cause of death listed is correct, as far as I can ascertain.
April 2, 2005
Director of the Department of Health and Sanitation of the State of Vatican City
Dr. RENATO BUZZONETTI
Original in Italian
Source Vatican Archive
You must be logged in to post a comment.