I certify that His Holiness John Paul II (Karol Wojtyła) born in Wadowice (Kraków, Poland) the 18th of May 1920, resident of Vatican City, expired at 9:37 on the evening of April 2, 2005 in his apartment in the Apostolic Vatican Palace (Vatican City) from
- Septic shock
- Irreversible Cardiovascular Collapse
The patient was affected with:
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Progressive episodes of acute respiratory insufficiency and resultant tracheotomy
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy complicated by Urosepsis
- Hypertensive cardiopathy and Ischemia
- Death was ascertained and established through electrocardiogram readings taken over a period of 20 minutes.
I certify that the cause of death listed is correct, as far as I can ascertain.
April 2, 2005
Director of the Department of Health and Sanitation of the State of Vatican City
Dr. RENATO BUZZONETTI
Original in Italian
Source Vatican Archive
Categories: Vatican City State