THE HIGH TREASON (PUNISHMENT) ACT, 1973.
ACT NO. LXVIII OF 1973
[26th September, 1973]
An Act to provide for the punishment of persons found guilty of acts of abrogation or subversion of a Constitution or of high treason.
WHEREAS it is necessary to provide for the punishment of persons found guilty of acts of
abrogation or subversion of a Constitution or of high treason;
It is hereby enacted as follows :—
1. Short title, extent and commencement. —(1) This Act may be called the High Treason
(Punishment) Act, 1973.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Punishment for high treason, etc. A person who is found guilty—
(a) of having committed an act of abrogation or subversion of a Constitution in force in
Pakistan at any time since the twentythird day of March, 1956, or
(b) of high treason as defined in Article 6 of the Constitution, shall be punishable with death or imprisonment for life.
3. Procedure. No court shall take cognizance of an offence punishable under this Act except upon a complaint in writing made by a person authorised by the Federal Government in this behalf.
For Statement of Objects Reasons, see Gaz. of P., 1973 Ext., Pt. III. P. 1540.
(1) Any person who abrogates or attempts or conspires to abrogate, subverts or attempts or conspires to subvert the Constitution by use of force or show of force or by other unconstitutional means shall be guilty of high treason.
(2) Any person aiding or abetting the acts mentioned in clause (1) shall likewise be guilty of high treason.
(3) Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) shall by law provide for the punishment of persons found guilty of high treason.
Categories: Law of Pakistan