In August 2018, then Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had approved the contract for the choppers. The deal is being done under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route. A year later, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), which administers the FMS program, announced that the State Department made a determination approving a possible FMS to India of 24 MH-60R Multi-Mission helicopters for an estimated cost of $2.6 billion (INR 18,608 crore).
The deal was concluded in February this year during President Donald Trump’s visit to India.
Each helicopter will cost about $100-109million (around INR 760 crore) which includes accessories, spare parts, tech support and the cost of establishing maintenance facilities for the new type of helicopter.
Specification of the Flying machine
Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk-Current Price $ 28 million U.S
- Maker: Lockheed Martin Corp., Owego, New York
- Engine: 2 × General Electric T700-GE-401C turboshaft
- Power: 1,620 horsepower
- Max Cruise Speed: 144 knots 267 Km/h
- Travel range: 380 Nautical Miles/704 Kilometers
- Fuel Economy: 0.75 nautical mile / gallon or 0.367 kilometres / litre
- Service Ceiling: 19,000 feet
- Rate of Climb: 700 feet / minute or 3.56metre / second
- Max Take Off Weight: 9,927 Kg /21,885 lbs
- Max Landing Weight: Max Payload: 4,082 Kg /8,999 lbs
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 590 gallon / 2,233 litre
- Seats – Economy / General: 11 seats
- Cabin Height: 1.3 metre – 4.27 feet
- Cabin Width: 1.8 metre – 5.91 feet
- Cabin Length: 3.2 metre – 10.50 feet
- Exterior Length: 19.76 metre – 64.83 feet
- Wing Span / Rotor Diameter: 16.36 metre – 53.67 feet