Law of Equity
The establishment of the court of chancery in England made it necessary to give a name to the more ordinary branch of law that is the province of the common or ordinary courts: it is termed, the Common Law and in opposition to it, the extraordinary branch devolved on the court of chancery is termed Equity; the name being derived from the nature of the jurisdiction, directed less by precise rules, than secundum aequum et bonum(naturally just and good), or according to what the judge in conscience thinks right. Thus equity, in its proper sense, comprehends every matter of law that by the common law is left without remedy; and supposing the boundaries of the common law to be ascertained, there can no longer remain any difficulty about the powers of a court of equity. [Principles of Equity-Lord Kames-1760]
Online Law Library
- East India Company v. Campbell-07/06/1749 - East India Company v. Campbell EXCHEQUER Original Citation: (1749) 1 Ves Sen 246 English Reports Citation: 27 E.R. 1010 June 7, 1749 East India Company v. Campbell, June 7, 1749, Exchequer. Demurrer to information as subjecting defendant to pains and penalties. (See 5 Ves. 173.) A demurrer may be put
- Equity Appeal - In common law cases the appellate court could ordinarily review only rulings of law. In equity cases, on the other hand, the appellate court could review findings of fact as well as conclusions of law. The significant thing about common law pleadings in error was that their scope was so limited that they did
- Equity in Indian Law - In England, the Court of Equity exercises jurisdiction in equity. The courts of India do not possess any such exclusive jurisdiction. The Courts in India exercise jurisdiction both in equity as well as law but exercise of equity jurisdiction is always subject to the provisions of law. If exercise of
- Indian Equity Market Vocabulary - 52 Week High Low Algorithm Trading American Option Arbitrage Arbitrage Bearish Trend Beta Bid-Ask Spread Black-Scholes Model Block Deal Blue Chip Stocks Bollinger Bands Bonus Share Bullish Trend Bull Spread Butterfly Spread Option Call Option Capital Protection Fund Cash & Carry Trade Circuit Breakers Collar Options Contra Fund Cost Of
- Law Reform (Law and Equity) Act 1972 - An Act to provide that the rules of equity shall prevail over the rules of the common law in cases of conflict or variance; to extend the defences available in inferior courts; to repeal certain sections of the District Courts Act 1912 and the Supreme Court Act 1970; and for purposes connected therewith.
- Pipikos v Trayans-HCA-12/09/2018 - Equity – Doctrine of part performance – "enforcement of equities", "equitable estoppel", "equitable fraud", "equity of the statute", "fraud", "parol contract", "part performance", "specific performance", "Statute of Frauds", "unequivocally referable".
- Roshanlal Kuthiala and others Vs R. B. Mohan Singh Oberai[ALL SC 1974 OCTOBER] - KEYWORDS:-Evacuee property- EQUITY-EQUITABLE ADJUSTMENT- In India the historical and artificial distinction between Equity and Law does not exist and equity itself is enforced as law with all the built-in limitations we have adverted to. DATE:-17-10-1974 AIR 1975 SC 824 : (1975) 2 SCR 491 : (1975) 4 SCC 628 (SUPREME
- Rules of equity have no application if there are definite statutory provisions-SC - Civil Procedure Code, 1908—Sections 47 and 48—Execution of decree—Fraudulent conduct—Benami transaction—Inference of fraudulent motive from the circumstances—Object of preventing execution of decree against the property—No explanation sought for such conduct—The benami transaction though otherwise permissible in law can be inferred as fraudulent.
- Shiv Kumar Sharma Vs Santosh Kumari-18/9/2007 - In England, the Court of Equity exercises jurisdiction in equity. The courts of India do not possess any such exclusive jurisdiction. The Courts in India exercise jurisdiction both in equity as well as law but exercise of equity jurisdiction is always subject to the provisions of law. If exercise of equity jurisdiction would violate the express provisions contained in law, the same cannot be done. Equity jurisdiction can be exercised only when no law operates in the field.
- Statutes and Equity-Justice Allsop - The jurisdiction of a court of equity to set aside a gift or other disposition of property as, actually or presumptively, resulting from undue influence, abuse of confidence or other circumstances affecting the conscience of the donee is governed by principles the application of which calls for a precise examination of the particular facts, a scrutiny of the exact relations established between the parties and a consideration of the mental capacities, processes and idiosyncrasies of the donor.
- The Science of Right-Immanual Kant- 1790 - A practical jurisconsult (jurisperitus), or a professional lawyer, is one who is skilled in the knowledge of positive external laws, and who can apply them to cases that may occur in experience. Such practical knowledge of positive right, and law, may be regarded as belonging to jurisprudence (jurisprudentia) in the original sense of the term. But the theoretical knowledge of right and law in principle, as distinguished from positive laws and empirical cases, belongs to the pure science of right (jurisscientia).
- US federal courts’ equity jurisdiction - Equity The framers of the Constitution granted the federal courts jurisdiction over both common-law actions and suits in equity. Equity was a centuries-old system of English jurisprudence in which judges based decisions on general principles of fairness in situations where rigid application of common-law rules would have brought about