White House Meetings with Leaders of Law Enforcement Groups on Police Reform
Readout of White House Meetings with Leaders of Law Enforcement Groups on Police Reform
This week, senior officials from the White House and the Department of Justice met with leaders from major law enforcement groups to discuss police reform. The meetings were part of a broader effort by the Biden-Harris Administration to consult with members of the civil rights and law enforcement communities, members of Congress, and victims’ families to define a path forward on meaningful police reform, including through executive actions.
Officials from the Biden-Harris Administration taking part in the meetings included Domestic Policy Advisor Susan Rice, Senior Advisor Cedric Richmond, White House Counsel Dana Remus, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco, and Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta. The administration officials stressed the President’s support for more federal funding to support local law enforcement and his belief that this moment demands action to enhance accountability and repair trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.
The law enforcement groups presented a number of ideas for potential reforms they would support and resources that the federal government can provide, including promoting officer wellness initiatives and improving recruitment and training.
Participants in the meetings included:
- Chief Jim Bueermann (Ret.), Senior Fellow, George Mason Center for Evidence-Based Crime Policy
- Jim Burch, President, Police Foundation
- Lazaro Cosme, National President, Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA)
- Terry Cunningham, Deputy Executive Director, International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- Andrea Edmiston, Director of Governmental Affairs, National Association of Police Organizations (NAPO)
- Sarah Guy, Senior Advisor, IACP
- Sheriff Peter Koutoujian, President, Major County Sheriffs of America (MCSA)
- Jim Pasco, Executive Director, Fraternal Order of Police (FOP)
- Tim Richardson, Senior Legislative Liaison, FOP
- Dennis Slocumb, International Political Director and International Executive Vice President Emeritus, International Union of Police Associations (IUPA)
- Sheriff Vernon Stanforth, President, National Sheriffs Association (NSA)
- Captain Frederick Thomas, National President, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE)
- Gene Voegtlin, Outreach Director, IACP
- Chuck Wexler, Executive Director, Police Executive Research Forum (PERF)
- Chief Jeri Williams, President, Major Cities Chiefs Association (MCCA