Coal Controller Organisation, Ministry of Coal collects and maintains coal production data of all private and public sector coal mines in the country.The information is collected on monthly basis.
To ensure fair production and commercial transaction, Coal Controller Organisation, a subordinate office under Ministry of Coal, has been entrusted with the following responsibilities:
- Inspection of collieries so as to ensure the correctness of the class, grade or size of coal.
- To issue directives for the purpose of declaration and maintenance of grades of coal of a seam mined in a colliery.
- To act as the appellate authority in case of dispute between consumers and owner arising out of declaration of grade and size of coal.
- To regulate disposal of stock of coal or the expected output of coal in the colliery.
- Quality surveillance with respect to maintenance of grade, loading of coal in wagons/ trucks according to laid down procedures regarding grades and sizes.
- To grant opening / re-opening permission of coal mine, seam or a section of seam or to sub-divide a mine.
- Assessment and collection of excise duty levied on all raw coal raised and dispatched.
- Submission of monthly coal data to different ministries of Central and State Government, national and international organization.
Directorate General of Mines Safety [DGMS] is the Indian Government Regulatory agency for safety in mines. The mission of the DGMS is to continually improve safety and health standards, practices and performance in the mining industry and upstream petroleum industry by implementing pro-active safety and health strategies, continuous improvement of processes, effective use of resources and commitment and professional behaviour in its personnel.
Further, safety provisions are included in the Agreement signed by the Ministry with Private Mine allocattees. As per agreement signed with Private Mine allocattees, the successful bidder shall comply with all applicable Laws and Good Industry Practice for the protection of the general health, safety, welfare, social security and minimum wages of employees engaged at the Coal Mine, including employees of any contractor or sub-contractor and of all other persons having legal access to the area covered by this Agreement.