Updated: 28 Jan. 2022
Issued on 23 Jan. 2012
YPES OF ACCREDITATION: Annual & Ad Hoc
Who can request annual accreditation?
- Media representatives including journalists, TV producers, photographers, videographers, bloggers and technicians with an official residence in Belgium and who are accredited as media by the Belgian Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs or the Interior may request an annual NATO media accreditation.
- Media representatives with an official residence in Belgium who hold a valid press card issued by a recognised national professional body of a NATO country. (i.e. government, professional association, union) are also eligible to apply for an annual NATO media accreditation.
What are the advantages of annual accreditation?
Annual accreditation gives media representatives day-to-day access to NATO Headquarters. During normal business hours, annually accredited media representatives are also allowed to use the Media centre at NATO Headquarters, which is equipped with TV sets, international telephone lines and internet connections (Wi-Fi).
Holders of annual NATO media accreditation do not need to request special accreditation for regular events, such as ministerial meetings held at NATO HQ.
How to request annual accreditation
- Create a profile in the NATO accreditation portal:
- Go to https://my.hq.nato.int/
- Log in with your username and password (you can recover your password)
If you do not have an account, click on “new user” and fill in the form
- In the press card field, please enter the number of your valid press card issued by a recognised national professional body of a NATO country (i.e. government, professional association, union, etc.)
- Attach a 3.5 x 4.5 cm digital identity photograph in JPEG format (less than 100Kb)
- Submit an attestation from your editor. Please mail (by traditional post or by delivering personally to the NATO Accreditation Office) an original attestation from your senior editor/manager confirming that you are the designated press representative for regular coverage of NATO’s activities.
NATO Accreditation Office
Public Diplomacy Division/Press and Media
NATO Headquarters, Boulevard Léopold III
1110 Evere, Belgium
Please note that the approval process of your annual accreditation request may take several weeks. You will receive an answer by email. If your request is accepted, you will receive instructions on how to collect your NATO annual accreditation pass at the NATO Pass Office. You will be asked to bring a copy of the confirmation email, your valid press card issued by a recognised national professional body of a NATO country, and your ID/passport.
Freelance Journalists resident in Belgium and holding a valid press card issued by a recognised national professional body of a NATO country (i.e. government, professional association, union) may be granted annual accreditation without a letter of assignment by a recognised media, on a case-by-case basis and after review of recent publications on international affairs.
Online Media should meet the following additional requirements in order to be granted an annual NATO media accreditation:
- They must represent a professional website belonging to a recognised media organisation
- The website must have a significant amount of original news content or commentary or analysis, including coverage of international issues
- Media representatives are required to submit two by-lined articles written within the past month that were posted on the website
- Online publications which do communications outreach or advocacy work, or are run by non-governmental or non-profit organisations do not qualify for media accreditation
Note on bona fide media organisations
The NATO Press & Media Section will verify that the individuals applying for or renewing annual accreditation at NATO are media professionals and represent bona fide media organisations.
Accreditation for new applicants will only be given on proof of a track record of reporting for media organisations on international affairs. Media accreditation is not given to employees of non-media organisations.
Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis and the decisions of NATO are final.
NATO reserves the right to deny accreditation or to revoke it even if already confirmed.
NATO cooperates on its accreditation policy with the International Press Association. The IPA can be contacted by media representatives for queries or for more information.
For any questions, please send an email to [NatoAccreditations@hq.nato.int]
NATO organises various events that the media are invited to cover, including ministerial meetings and meetings of Heads of State and Government.
If the meeting is held at NATO Headquarters in Brussels
- Media representatives with annual accreditation at NATO do not have to request ad hoc accreditation whenever the meeting is held at NATO Headquarters in Brussels (unless otherwise specified for some events).
- All other media representatives must request ad hoc accreditation as described below.
If the meeting is held outside NATO Headquarters, all media representatives without exception must request ad hoc accreditation.
Steps to request an ad hoc accreditation at NATO:
- The NATO Press Service issues a media advisory announcing the meeting on the NATO Website [http://www.nato.int] (under Event Calendar)
- Media representatives request accreditation by submitting an application via the NATO accreditation platform. Instructions are provided in Annex 1
- To verify if you have duly submitted your application with attachments, please log in to your profile and click on Update Your Event Attendance. The event tick box should appear as checked [https://my.hq.nato.int] → Registered User → Update Event Attendance). Media representatives are responsible for their registrations. NATO will not verify if a registration has been duly submitted on behalf of applicants.
In case of missing information in the ad-hoc accreditation request, the NATO Accreditation Office will contact media representatives directly.
Annex 1 – Instructions for using the NATO Accreditation portal
Portal link: https://my.hq.nato.int/