As regards the purpose of the guarantee, as a general rule, the banks should confine themselves to the provision of financial guarantees and exercise due caution with regard to performance guarantee business. As regards maturity, as a rule, banks should guarantee shorter maturities and leave longer maturities to be guaranteed by other institutions. No bank guarantee should normally have a maturity of more than 10 years. However, in view of the changed scenario of the banking industry where banks extend long term loans for periods longer than 10 years for various projects, it has been decided to allow banks to also issue guarantees for periods beyond 10 years. While issuing such guarantees, banks are advised to take into account the impact of very long duration guarantees on their Asset Liability Management. Further, banks may evolve a policy on issuance of guarantees beyond 10 years as considered appropriate with the approval of their Board of Directors.Master Circular – Guarantees and Co-acceptances-July 1, 2015
Model Form of Bank Guarantee Bond
1. In consideration of the President of India (hereinafter called ‘the Government’) having agreed to exempt _______________________________ [hereinafter called ‘the said Contractor(s)’] from the demand, under the terms and conditions of an Agreement dated ___________ made between _______________________________________________ and___________________________________for_____________ (hereinafter called ‘the said Agreement’), of security deposit for the due fulfilment by the said Contractor(s) of the terms and conditions contained in the said Agreement, on production of a bank Guarantee for Rs. __________ (Rupees______________________________________ Only) We, ______________________________________________________________, (hereinafter referred (indicate the name of the bank) to as ‘the Bank’) at the request of _________________________________________________ [contractor(s)] do hereby undertake to pay to the Government an amount not exceeding Rs. ______________ against any loss or damage caused to or suffered or would be caused to or suffered by the Government by reason of any breach by the said Contractor(s) of any of the terms or conditions contained in the said Agreement.
2. We _______________________________________________________ (indicate the name of the bank) do hereby undertake to pay the amounts due and payable under this guarantee without any demur, merely on a demand from the Government stating that the amount claimed is due by way of loss or damage caused to or would be caused to or suffered by the Government by reason of breach by the said contractor(s) of any of the terms or conditions contained in the said Agreement or by reason of the contractor(s)’ failure to perform the said Agreement. Any such demand made on the bank shall be conclusive as regards the amount due and payable by the Bank under this guarantee. However, our liability under this guarantee shall be restricted to an amount not exceeding Rs. _______________.
3. We undertake to pay to the Government any money so demanded notwithstanding any dispute or disputes raised by the contractor(s)/supplier(s) in any suit or proceeding pending before any Court or Tribunal relating thereto our liability under this present being absolute and unequivocal.
The payment so made by us under this bond shall be a valid discharge of our liability for payment thereunder and the contractor(s)/supplier(s) shall have no claim against us for making such payment.
4 We,_____________________________________________________________ (indicate the name of bank) further agree that the guarantee herein contained shall remain in full force and effect during the period that would be taken for the performance of the said Agreement and that it shall continue to be enforceable till all the dues of the Government under or by virtue of the said Agreement have been fully paid and its claims satisfied or discharged or till__________________________________ Office/Department/Ministry of________________________________ certifies that the terms and conditions of the said Agreement have been fully and properly carried out by the said contractor(s) and accordingly discharges this guarantee. Unless a demand or claim under this guarantee is made on us in writing on or before the ___________________________________________ we shall be discharged from all liability under this guarantee thereafter.
5. We, _______________________________________________ (indicate the name of bank) further agree with the Government that the Government shall have the fullest liberty without our consent and without affecting in any manner our obligations hereunder to vary any of the terms and conditions of the said Agreement or to extend time of performance by the said contractor(s) from time to time or to postpone for any time or from time to time any of the powers exercisable by the Government against the said Contractor(s) and to forbear or enforce any of the terms and conditions relating to the said agreement and we shall not be relieved from our liability by reason of any such variation, or extension being granted to the said Contractor(s) or for any forbearance, act or omission on the part of the Government or any indulgence by the Government to the said Contractor(s) or by any such matter or thing whatsoever which under the law relating to sureties would, but for this provision, have effect of so relieving us.
6. This guarantee will not be discharged due to the change in the constitution of the Bank or the Contractor(s)/Supplier(s).
7. We, ________________________________________ (indicate the name of bank) lastly undertake not to revoke this guarantee during its currency except with the previous consent of the Government in writing.
8. Dated the ____________ day of ___________ _____ for ______________________________ (indicate the name of the Bank).