Joint Statement between the Government of the Kingdom of Thailand and the Government of Japan on the Elevation of the Relations to a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership
Issued on 17 November 2022,
1. At the invitation of His Excellency Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha of the Kingdom of Thailand, His Excellency Mr. KISHIDA Fumio, Prime Minister of Japan, paid a visit to Thailand to attend the 29th APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting on 17-19 November 2022 in Bangkok. The Prime Minister of Thailand and the Prime Minister of Japan held a bilateral meeting on 17 November 2022 at the Government House.
2. The two Leaders noted with satisfaction on the developments in Thailand- Japan relations, strengthened by exchanges of high-level visits, particularly the official visit by His Excellency KISHIDA Fumio, Prime Minister of Japan, to Thailand on 1-2 May 2022 and His Excellency General Prayut Chan-o-Cha, Prime Minister and Minister of Defense of Thailand, to attend the 27th International Conference on the Future of Asia (Nikkei Forum) on 25-27 May 2022 in Tokyo as well as cooperation in sub-regional, regional and multilateral frameworks, including under the Mekong-Japan, ACMECS, of which Japan is a Development Partner, ASEAN- Japan and the United Nations.
3. Since the formulation of the “Strategic Partnership” between Thailand and Japan in 2012, the two countries have deepened and expanded bilateral ties in a wide range of areas. Especially this year, which marks the 135th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations, the leaders of the two countries visited each other and moved forward bilateral cooperation in various fields such as security,
economy and global challenges. The two Leaders also welcomed the signing of the “The Five-Year Joint Action Plan on Japan-Thailand Strategic Economic Partnership” between His Excellency Mr. Don Pramudwinai, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, and His Excellency Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, on 17 November 2022 in Bangkok. Based on the shared view of making the Strategic Partnership, in particular economic partnership, between Thailand and Japan relevant with changing times and co-creating economic relations as equal partners by charting a new course for cooperation towards a more resilient and sustainable future, the
Five-Year Joint Action Plan will serve as a mid-term guideline to set direction for the economic relationship during 2022-2026 in three areas of cooperation; namely, (1) human resource development, regulatory reform, innovation, (2) Bio-Circular- Green (BCG) Economy and (3) infrastructure.
4. In view of the above, and cognizant of the progress of the close and multi-dimensional relations of the two countries and the continued deepening and expanding of the “Strategic Partnership”, the two Leaders concurred to elevate the “Strategic Partnership” to a “Comprehensive Strategic Partnership” to reflect the shared strong determination to advance cooperation on all fronts amidst present
and emerging challenges of the evolving regional and global landscapes.
5. In this regard, the two Leaders affirmed the commitment to working closely together to develop a meaningful “Comprehensive Strategic Partnership” and ensuring the implementation of the “The Five-Year Joint Action Plan on Japan- Thailand Strategic Economic Partnership” into concrete action for the mutual benefits, progress and prosperity of the two countries, peoples and beyond.