Ministry of Law and Justice is the oldest limb of the Government of India dating back to the year 1833 when the Charter Act, 1833 was enacted by the British Parliament. The said Act vested legislative power in a single authority for the first time, namely, the Governor General in Council. By virtue of this authority and the authority vested under him under section 22 of the Indian Councils Act, 1861, the Governor General in Council enacted laws for the country from the year 1834 to year 1920. After the commencement of the Government of India Act, 1919, the legislative power was exercised by the Indian Legislature constituted thereunder. The Government of India Act, 1919 was followed by the Government of India Act, 1935. With the passing of the Indian Independence Act, 1947, India became a Dominion and the Dominion Legislature made laws from the year 1947 to year 1949 under the provisions of section 100 of the Government of India Act, 1935, as adapted by the India (Provisional Constitution) Order, 1947. Under the Constitution of India which came into force on the 26th January, 1950, the legislative power has been vested in Parliament.
COMPOSITION OF THE MINISTRY
Ministry of Law and Justice comprises of the Legislative Department, Department of Legal Affairs
and Department of Justice.
The Legislative Department is concerned with drafting of principal legislation for the Central Government.
The Department of Legal Affairs is concerned with advising the various Ministries of the Central Government.
In so far as the Department of Justice is concerned, a separate Chapter (Chapter III) has been brought out covering all details.
1. Introduction and composition of the Ministry of Law (v-vi) and Justice
2. Chapter-I Department of Legal Affairs
3. Chapter-II Legislative Department
4. Chapter-III Department of Justice
5. Annexure-I Organisation Chart of Department of Legal Affairs
6. Annexure-II State wise data (High Courts) on establishment of Commercial Courts of different levels
7. Annexure-III Total number of Employees of I.T.A.T. including SCs, STs, OBCs, Ex-Servicemen, PH
8. Annexure-IV No. of SC/ST/OBC/Ex-Servicemen/Physically Handicapped in Department of Legal Affairs
9. Annexure-V Representation of female employees in Department of Legal Affairs
10. Annexure- VI Organisation Chart of Legislative Department
11. Annexure-VII No. of SC/ST/OBC/Ex-Servicemen/Physically Handicapped in Legislative Department
12. Annexure-VIII Representation of female employees in Legislative Department
13. Annexure- IX Celebration of Swachhata Pakhawada and Other Activities
14. Annexure-X Organisation Chart of Department of Justice