Authority: Bureau of Immigration [ Govt of India]
Regulations dealing with foreigners
- Passport ( entry to India Act) 1920
- Foreigners act 1946
- Registration of Foreigners Act 1939
- Registration of Foreigners Rule 1992
Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO)
- All foreigners (including foreigners of Indian origin) visiting India on long term (more than 180 days) Student Visa, Medical Visa, Research Visa and Employment Visa are required to get themselves registered with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned having jurisdiction over the place where the foreigner intends to stay, within 14 days of arrival. However, Pakistan nationals are required to register within 24 hours of their arrival. No registration is required in respect of children below the age of 16 years.
- Every person entering India by air, land or sea is required to complete the Embarkation/ Disembarkation card (D/E card) proforma (Form ‘D’ – Registration of Foreigners Rules, 1992).
Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI)
Persons of Indian Origin (PIO)