Resolved, That Donald John Trump, President of the United States, is impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors and that an article of impeachment was exhibited to the United States Senate: Article of impeachment exhibited by the House of Representatives of the United States of America in the name of itself and of the people of the United States of America, against Donald John Trump, President of the United States of America, in maintenance and support of its impeachment against him for high crimes and misdemeanors. Read More
MARKET: SENSEX 48176.80 – NIFTY 14132.90 – GOLD (MCX 10 GM) 51275.00-USD ($) / INR 72.96
- Jeff Bezos of Amazon- Speech before U.S House Committee on the Judiciary-2020 - The concept for Amazon came to me in 1994. The idea of building an online bookstore with millions of titles—something that simply couldn’t exist in the physical world—was exciting to me. At the time, I was working at an investment firm in New York City. When I told my boss I was leaving, he took me on a long walk in Central Park. After a lot of listening, he finally said, “You know what, Jeff, I think this is a good idea, but it would be a better idea for somebody who didn’t already have a good job.”
- RBI Cautions against unauthorised Digital Lending Platforms - There have been reports about individuals/small businesses falling prey to growing number of unauthorised digital lending platforms/Mobile Apps on promises of getting loans in quick and hassle-free manner. These reports also refer to excessive rates of interest and additional hidden charges being demanded from borrowers; adoption of unacceptable and high-handed recovery methods; and misuse of agreements to access data on the mobile phones of the borrowers.
- CBI moves SC against Kolkata top cop Rajeev Kumar-seeks custodial interrogation - Earlier, the Calcutta High Court allowed Bail on a personal bond of Rs 50,000. Rajeev Kumar has been directed by the court to cooperate with the investigation. The grounds on which the CBI challenged the anticipatory bail to Rajeev Kumar are that he has been non-cooperative and evasive, evidence against him are strong and his custodial interrogation is important to complete the investigation. For CBI, Rajib Kumar is the key person who can open all kingpins behind Sardar scam. Rajeev Kumar, is the main culprit in hiding the facts of the Sarda Chit Fund and many other Chit Fund cases in Bengal.
- Deputation of IPS cadre officers - Indian Police Service (Cadre) Rules 1954-Cadre officer may, with the concurrence of the State Government or the State Governments concerned and the Central Government, be deputed for service under the Central Government or another State Government or under a company, association or body of individuals, whether incorporated or not which is wholly or substantially owned or controlled by the Central Government or by another State Government.
- RBI issued Statement on Developmental and Regulatory Policies-4/12/2020 - Statement sets out various developmental and regulatory policy measures to i) enhance liquidity support to targeted sectors of the economy with linkages to other sectors; (ii) deepen financial markets; (iii) conserve capital among banks and NBFCs through regulatory initiatives; (iv) strengthen supervision through the audit function; (v) facilitate external trade by improving ease of doing business for exporters; and (vi) upgrade payment system services so as to expand financial inclusion and improve customer service.
Supreme Court vide its order dated March 23, 2020, took suo motu cognizance of the challenge faced by the country on account of COVID 19 disease and in exercise of its powers under Article 142 read with Article 141 of the Constitution, ordered that the period of limitation in all proceedings shall stand extended with effect from March 15, 2020, till further orders.
- Arnab Manoranjan Goswami Vs. State of Maharashtra & Ors- 27/11/2020 - Court's power under Article 226 of the Constitution of India and section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure while considering the applications for bail since the petitioner is already in Judicial custody. The legislature has provided specific remedy under Section 439 Cr.P.C. for applying for regular bail.
- Rajesh Dhiman Vs State of Himachal Pradesh-26/10/2020 - Whether bias was caused by complainant also being the investigating officer? Whether alternate version has been established and what is the effect of lack of independent witnesses? Whether High Court erred in reversing acquittal in appeal?
- Raveen Kumar vs State of Himachal Pradesh -26/10/2020 - (A) What is the scope and essence of the High Court’s appellate jurisdiction against a judgment of acquittal? (B) What is the extent of reliance upon a document with which the other side was not confronted with during cross-examination? C) Whether non-examination of independent witnesses vitiates the prosecution case?
- AMIT SAHNI Vs COMMISSIONER OF POLICE & ORS-07/10/2020 - We have to make it unequivocally clear that public ways and public spaces cannot be occupied in such a manner and that too indefinitely. Democracy and dissent go hand in hand, but then the demonstrations expressing dissent have to be in designated places alone. The present case was not even one of protests taking place in an undesignated area, but was a blockage of a public way which caused grave inconvenience to commuters. We cannot accept the plea of the applicants that an indeterminable number of people can assemble whenever they choose to protest.
- Sarika Vs. The Administrator, Mahakaleshwar Mandir Committee, Ujjain, MP-1/9/2020 - The original work in the temple is required to be restored. As assured by the Committee, let restoration work be done concerning eyesore painting by 15th December 2020. The Temple Committee is directed to ensure in future not to permit or resort to such painting and covering of the original work, objected by the Expert Committee. Let a report be submitted to this Court in this regard by 15th December 2020.
- Mukesh Singh Vs. State (Narcotic Branch of Delhi)-31/08/2020 - In a case where the informant himself is the investigator, by that itself cannot be said that the investigation is vitiated on the ground of bias or the like factor.-Case overruled: Mohan Lal v. State of Punjab (2018) 17 SCC 627 [Complainant can not be Investigator]
- Vijay Mallya vs.State Bank of India & Ors-31/08/2020 - Though the scope of review was thus limited, we have carefully considered the submissions advanced by Mr. Munim. Those submissions were dealt with and rejected in the judgment under review. In our considered view, the attempt on part of the respondent No.3 to have re-hearing in the matter cannot be permitted nor do the submissions make out any “error apparent on record” to justify interference in review jurisdiction.
- IN RE: PRASHANT BHUSHAN AND ANR-31/08/2020 - The Court, from the very beginning, was desirous of giving quietus to this matter. Directly or indirectly, the contemnor was persuaded to end this matter by tendering an apology and save the grace of the institution as well as the individual, who is an officer of the Court. However, for the reasons best known to him he has neither shown regret in spite of our persuasion or the advice of the learned Attorney General. Thus, we have to consider imposing an appropriate sentence upon him.
- PRANEETH K AND ORS. VS UNIVERSITY GRANTS COMMISSION AND ORS-28/08/2020 - The Guidelines were issued with the object that a uniform academic calendar be followed by all the Universities and final /terminal examinations be held. The State Governments or State Disaster Management Authority in exercise of power under Disaster Management Act, 2005 has no jurisdiction to take a decision that the students of final year/terminal students should be promoted on the basis of earlier year assessment and internal assessment.
- Rhea Chakraborty vs The State of Bihar & Ors-19/08/2020 - CBI INVESTIGATION-At the stage of investigation, they were not required to transfer the FIR to Mumbai police. For the same reason, the Bihar government was competent to give consent for entrustment of investigation to the CBI and as such the ongoing investigation by the CBI is held to be lawful.
- Instructions from crown to governors of provinces to which Govt of India Act 1919 applies - You shall do all that lies in your power to maintain standards of good administration ; to encourage religious toleration, co-operation and goodwill among all classes and creeds ; to ensure the probity of public finance and the solvency of the presidency; and to promote all measures making for the moral, social, and industrial welfare of the people, and tending to fit all classes of the population without distinction to take their due share in the public life and government of the country.
- M. K Gandhi’s letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt and reply-1942 - My personal position is clear. I hate all war. If therefore I could persuade my countrymen, they would make a most effective and decisive contribution in favour of an honourable peace. But I know that all of us have not a living faith in non-violence. Under foreign rule however we can make no effective contribution of any kind in this war, except as helots.
- Testimony of Pierre Kory, MD-“Focus on Early Treatment of COVID-19”- Dec 8, 2020 - In the last 3-4 months, emerging publications provide conclusive data on the profound efficacy of the anti-parasite, anti-viral drug, anti-inflammatory agent called ivermectin in all stages of the disease. Our protocol was created only recently, after we identified these data. Nearly all studies are demonstrating the therapeutic potency and safety of ivermectin in preventing transmission and progression of illness in nearly all who take the drug.
- Commercial Space Guidelines-USA 2020 - The term “commercial,” for the purposes of this policy, refers to goods, services, or activities provided by private sector enterprises that bear a reasonable portion of the investment risk and responsibility for the activity, operate in accordance with typical market-based incentives for controlling cost and optimizing return on investment, and have the legal capacity to offer those goods or services to existing or potential non-governmental customers.
- Appreciation of evidence in criminal cases-Instructions for trial judges - The object of hearing evidence is to enable the Court to Form its belief in the truth or otherwise of the alleged occurrence and of the guilt of the accused. This, it has to do by evaluating or correlating the various facts in the evidence on which the proof of guilt is made to rest The occurrence and the commission thereof by the accused are the two essential facts the truth whereof is to be discovered. The discovery of any fact can be had either by direct perception or by inference.