DRDO built Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel COVID19 Hospital in Delhi Cantonment, the temporary hospital structure has been erected in 11 days and will have 1,000 beds including 250 ICU beds.
CONSTITUTION AND LAW
- It is Time to Address Airborne Transmission of COVID-19: Scientists wrote an open letter to WHO [TEXT] - We are concerned that the lack of recognition of the risk of airborne transmission of COVID-19 and the lack of clear recommendations on the control measures against the airborne virus will have significant consequences: people may think that they are fully protected by adhering to the current recommendations, but in fact, additional airborne interventions are needed for further reduction of infection risk.
- Statement of MEA on Davol-Wang Yi border discussion: PLA stepped back one KM from LAC - The Special Representatives of India and China on the Boundary Question - Shri Ajit Doval, National Security Advisor of India and H.E. Mr. Wang Yi, State Councillor and Minister of Foreign Affairs of China had a telephone conversation on 5th July 2020. The two Special Representatives had a frank and in-depth exchange of views on the recent developments in the Western Sector of the India-China border areas.
- The Oli-Dhamal meeting failed – Nepal Army on high alert - Pushpa Kamal Dahal, and other leaders demanded Oli`s step down from the leadership of both the government and the party. As the party has entered a phase of division, the prime minister requested all the ministers for support. Raising baseless accusations against India and leaders of his own party by the PM was not appropriate was the opinion of party senior leader Prachanda.
- Indian Army condemned social media posts of Modi’s ‘fake’ hospital visit - It is unfortunate that aspersions are being cast on how our brave Armed Forces are treated. The Armed Forces give the best possible treatment to their personnel. It is clarified that the said facility is part of the Crisis Expansion capacity of 100 beds and is very much part of the General Hospital complex
- China seeks upholding bilateral relations with India - China-India practical cooperation is mutually beneficial and win-win in nature. Artificially setting up barriers for such cooperation not only violates WTO rules, but also hurts India's interests. China will take all necessary measures to safeguard the legitimate rights of Chinese businesses.
SUPREME COURT JUDGMENTS
- How to compute compensation payable to the dependants of the deceased under MV Act-United India Insurance Vs. Satinder Kaur-30/06/2020 - United India Insurance Company Ltd. Vs. Satinder Kaur @ Satwinder Kaur & Ors-U/S. 166/168 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988-The Constitution Bench in National Insurance Company Limited v. Pranay Sethi & Ors[ (2017) 16 SCC 680]affirmed the view taken in Sarla Verma (supra) and Reshma Kumari (supra), and held that the age of the deceased should be the basis for applying the multiplier. Another three-judge bench in Royal Sundaram Alliance Insurance Co. Ltd. v. Mandala Yadagari Goud & Ors.[(2019) 5 SCC 554] traced out the law on this issue, and held that the compensation is to be computed based on what the deceased would have contributed to support the dependants.
- While applying Article 227 Constitution, HC cannot act as Court of Appeal-MD. INAM VS SANJAY KR SINGHAL -26/06/2020 - Art 227 of Constitution of India - It is a well settled principle of law, that in the guise of exercising jurisdiction under Article 227 of the Constitution of India, the High Court cannot convert itself into a court of appeal. It is equally well settled, that the supervisory jurisdiction extends to keeping the subordinate tribunals within the limits of their authority and seeing that they obey the law.
- State of Rajasthan vs Mehram & Ors-06/05/2020 - QUANTUM OF PUNISHMENT-The learned counsel for the accused No. 5 was at pains to persuade us that the said accused is now about 70/75 years of age and at this distance of time, it may not be appropriate to send him back to jail. Taking overall view of the matter, we are not impressed by this submission. Even in case of offence under Section 326, IPC, which commended to the High Court, the same was punishable with imprisonment for life or with imprisonment of either description which may extend to ten years and also liable to fine. Had it been a conviction under Section 326, as aforesaid, the sentence of only about five months in the facts of the present case, by no stretch of imagination, was adequate.
- Triloki Nath Singh vs Anirudh Singh (d) Thr. Lrs & Ors-06/05/2020 - Whether the decree passed on a compromise can be challenged by the stranger to the proceedings in a separate suit?
The appellant could file a suit for protection of his right, title or interest devolved on the basis of the stated sale deed dated 6th January, 1984, allegedly executed by one of the party (Sampatiya) to the proceedings in the partition suit, which could be examined independently by the Court on its own merits in accordance with law.
- Commissioner Of Central Excise, Delhi-iii vs M/S. Uni Products India Ltd-01/05/2020 - The common parlance test”, “marketability test”, “popular meaning test” are all tools for interpretation to arrive at a decision on proper classification of a tariff entry. These tests, however, would be required to be applied if a particular tariff entry is capable of being classified in more than one heads.
- Defense Budget of the U.S. Government FY 2021 - The Budget requests $705.4 billion for DOD, including $636.4 billion for the base budget and $69 billion for Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO). The Budget reflects a $0.8 billion increase above the 2020 enacted level for base and OCO.
- AYUSH Ministry asked Patanjali for supplying information on Coronil Medicine - Ministry of AYUSH has taken cognizance of the news being recently flashed in the media about Ayurvedic medicines developed for treatment of COVID-19 by Patanjali Ayurved Ltd, Haridwar (Uttrakhand). Facts of the claim and details of the stated scientific study are not known to the Ministry.
- China`s Conventional Precision Striking Ability - The PLARF fields multiple missiles capable of conducting strikes beyond the first island chain. Among these are the CSS-5 Mod 5 ASBM with a range of 1,500 km and a MaRV to challenge ballistic missile defenses.
- Rules for Buddhist Monks and Nuns in Monasteries: Supervision under Socialist conditions - They must respect the leadership of the Party and government, respect the Socialist system, strenuously study relevant official policies and voluntarily accept the leadership and oversight of government offices at all levels.
- Research Council for Ayurvedic Research-CCRAS - The Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences is a Registered Society under Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 on 29.07.2011 (Formerly Registered as Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha on 30th March, 1978). It is an autonomous organization under Ministry of AYUSH, Govt, of India and is the apex body for formulation, co-ordination, development and promotion of research on scientific lines in Ayurveda medicine.
- Safe Policing for Safe Communities Executive Order of US President- 06/19/2020 - The Attorney General shall create a database to coordinate the sharing of information between and among Federal, State, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement agencies concerning instances of excessive use of force related to law enforcement matters, accounting for applicable privacy and due process rights.