The Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989
Published vide Notification G.S.R. 590 (E), dated 2.6.1989, published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part, 2, Section 3, dated 2.6.1989
1. Short title and commencement
LICENSING OF DRIVERS OF MOTOR VEHICLES
4. Evidence is to the correctness of address and age.
5. Medical certificate
6. Exemption from production of medical certificate
7. Affixing of photograph to medical certificate.
9. Educational qualifications for drivers of goods carriages carrying dangerous or hazardous goods
10. Application for learner’s licence
11. Preliminary test
12. Consent of parent or guardian in the case of application by minor
13. Form of learner’s licence
14. Application for a driving licence
15. Driving test
16. Form of driving licence.
17. Addition to driving licence
18. Renewal of driving licence
19. Refund of fee
20. Driving licence to drive motor vehicle belonging to the Defence Department
21. Powers of licensing authority to disqualify
ENDORSEMENT IN DRIVING LICENCE
22. Endorsement by courts
23. State Register of driving licences
DRIVING SCHOOL AND ESTABLISHMENTS
24. Driving schools and establishments
25. Duration of a licence renewal thereof.
26. Issue of duplicate licence
27. General conditions to be observed by the holder of licence
28. Power of the licensing authority to suspend or revoke licence.
30. Procedure for appeal.
31. Syllabus for importing instruction in driving of motor vehicles.
31A. Temporary licence.
REGISTRATION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
33. Condition for exemption from registration
34. Trade certificate.
35. Grant or renewal of trade certificate.
37. Period of validity
38. Issue of duplicate certificate
39. Use of trade registration mark and number.
40. Restrictions on use of trade certificate or trade registration mark and number.
41. Purposes for which motor vehicle with trade certificate may be used.
42. Delivery of vehicle subject to registration.
43. Register of trade certificate.
44. Suspension or cancellation of trade certificate.
46. Procedure for appeal
47. Application for registration of motor vehicles.
48. Issue of certificate of registration.
49. Registration records to be kept by the registering authority.
50. Form and manner of display of registration marks on the motor vehicles.
51. Size of letters and numerals of the registration mark.
52. Renewal of certificate of registration
53. Issue of duplicate certificate of registration
54. Assignment of new registration mark.
55. Transfer of ownership.
56. Transfer of ownership on death of owner of the vehicle.
57. Transfer of ownership of vehicle purchased in public auction.
58. No-objection certificate.
59. Change in residence.
60. Endorsement of hire-purchase agreements, etc.
61. Termination of Hire-purchase agreements, etc.
CERTIFICATE OF FITNESS
62. Validity of certificate of fitness
63. Regulation and control of authorised testing station.
64. Duration of letter of authority.
65. General conditions to be observed by the holder of letter of authority.
66. Issue of duplicate letter of authority.
67. Supervision of authorised testing stations.
68. Power of registering authority or Regional Transport Authority to call for information.
69. Power of registering authority to suspend or cancel the letter of authority or forfeit security deposit
71. Procedure for appeal.
72. Voluntary surrender of letter of authority
73. Tax clearance certificate to be submitted to the testing station
REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES BELONGING TO THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT
USED FOR DEFENCE PURPOSE
74. Assignment of registration marks to the vehicles belonging to the Central Government used for defence purposes
STATE REGISTER OF MOTOR VEHICLES
75. State Register of Motor Vehicles.
SPECIAL PROVISIONFOR REGISTRATION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
OF DIPLOMATIC OFFICERS, ETC.
76. Registration of vehicles of diplomatic and consular officers
76A. Application of rules 76 to 80 to organisations notified under the United Nations (Privileges and Immunities) Act, 1947
77. Exhibition of registration mark.
78. Assignment of new registration mark on removal of vehicle to another State.
79. Suspension and cancellation of registration of vehicle registered under rule 76.
80. Transfer or disposal of motor vehicle registered under rule 76.
CONTROL OF TRANSPORT VEHICLES
82. Tourist permits.
83. Authorisation fee.
84. Right of operation.
85. Additional conditions of tourist permit.
85B. Additional conditions of every tourist permit in respect of motor cabs.
86. Application for national permit.
87. Form, contents and duration of authorisation.
88. Age of motor vehicle for the purpose of national permit.
89. Quarterly return to be filed by a national permit holder.
90. Additional conditions for national permit.
CONSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT AND MAINTENANCE
OF MOTOR VEHICLES
93. Overall dimension of motor vehicles.
SIZE, NATURE AND CONDITION OF TYRES
94. Condition of tyres.
95. Size and ply rating of tyres.
BRAKES, STEERING GEARS, SAFETY GLASS AND WINDSCREEN WIPERS
97. Brakes for trailers.
98. Steering gears.
99. Forward and backward motion.
100. Safety glass.
101. Windscreen wiper.
102. Signalling devices, direction indicators and stoplights.
103. Position of the indicator.
104. Fitment of reflectors.
106. Deflection of lights.
107. Top lights.
108. Use of red or white light.
109. Parking light.
110. Lamp on auto-rickshaws and three-wheelers with engine capacity not exceeding 500 cc.
111. Prohibition of spotlights, etc.
SMOKE, VAPOUR, SPARK, ASHES, GRIT AND OIL
112. Exhaust gases.
113. Location of exhausts pipes.
114. Exhaust pipes of public service vehicles.
115. Emission of smoke, vapour, etc. from motor vehicles.
116. Test for smoke emission level and carbon monoxide level for vehicles.
118. Speed governor.
REDUCTION OF NOISE
121. Painting of motor vehicles.
CHASSIS NUMBER AND ENGINE NUMBER
122. Embossment of the chassis number and engine number and date of manufacture.
SAFETY DEVICES FOR DRIVERS, PASSENGERS AND ROAD USERS
123. Safety devices in motor cycle.
124. Safety, standards of components.
126. Prototype of every motor vehicle to be subject to test.
126A. Testing agencies.
127. Quality certificate by manufacturer.
128. Tourist vehicles other than motor cabs, etc.
129. Transportation of goods of dangerous or hazardous nature to human life.
129A. Spark arrester.
130. Manner of display of class labels.
131. Responsibility of the consignor for safe transport of dangerous or hazardous goods.
132. Responsibility of the transporter or owner of goods carriage.
133. Responsibility of the driver.
134. Emergency information panel.
135. Driver to be instructed.
136. Driver to report to the police station about accident.
137. Class labels.
CONTROL OF TRAFFIC
138. Signals and additional safety measures for motor cycle.
139. Production of licence and certificate of registration.
INSURANCE OF MOTOR VEHICLES AGAINST THIRD PARTY RISKS
141. Certificate of insurance.
142. Cover notes.
143. Issue of certificate and cover notes.
144. Transfer of certificate of insurance.
145. Exclusion of advertising matter.
146. Certificates or cover notes lost, destroyed, torn, soiled, defaced or mutilated.
147. Records to be maintained by authorised insurers.
148. Record of exempted vehicles.
149. Supply of information.
150. Furnishing of copies of reports to Claims Tribunal.
151. Establishment of fund.
152. Amount of the fund.
153. Investment of the fund.
154. Securities held as a deposit in the fund.
155. Deposit procedure.
156. Interest on deposit.
158. Settlement of claims.
159. List of foreign insurers.
160. Guarantor of foreign insurer.
161. Endorsement of certificate of foreign insurance.
162. Validity of certificate of foreign insurance.
163. Maintenance of records by the guarantor.
OFFENCES, PENALTIES AND PROCEDURE
164. Offences for the purpose of section 208.
- Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
- Central Motor Vehicles (Accreditation of Bus Body Builders) Order, 2007
- Central Motor Vehicles (Regulation of Bus Service Between Agartala And Dhaka) Rules, 2002
- Central Motor Vehicles (Regulation of Bus Service Between Calcutta and Dhaka) Rules, 2000
- Central Motor Vehicles (Regulation of Bus Service Between New Delhi and Lahore) Rules, 2000
- Central Motor Vehicles (Regulation of Bus Service between Amritsar and Lahore) Rules, 2006
- Central Motor Vehicles (Regulation of Bus Service between Amritsar and Nankana Sahib) Rules, 2006
- Central Motor Vehicles Rules,1989
- Driving Licence(Conditions For Exemption) Rules, 1992
- Maximum Speed Limit