The Indian Agricultural sector is in deep crisis. Present COVID 19 and migration of labour added more pain with the existing malady. There are several dimensions to this problem. The proportion of the population employed in agriculture is as much as 52 percent, yet agriculture contributes just 18.5 percent to the national GDP. Thus per capita GDP and average living standards in agriculture are significantly lower than in the non-agriculture sector. Growth in terms of yield per hectare and employment creation has also slowed down in the sector and per capita availability of food grains has shown no discernible increase for more than three decades. The recent suicides of farmers are symptoms of a much deeper malaise. Thus, in order to transform India into a high generated Agro-economy, it is imperative that we focus on agriculture on a priority basis. In this regard, the appropriate application of Information in agriculture can play a major role in boosting the agrarian economy and giving the Indian farmer a competitive edge in the global market.
- Agri sector reformation-LS passes Farmers’ Produce Bill and Farmers Agreement Bill - Two bills aimed at transforming agriculture in the country and raising farmers’ income were passed by Lok Sabha today. The Farmers' Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020 and The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 were introduced in Lok Sabha on 14th September 2020 by Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Rural Development & Panchayati Raj, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, to replace ordinances promulgated on 5th June 2020.
- रबी फसलों के न्यूनतम समर्थन मूल्यों (एमएसपी) में वृद्धि - माननीय प्रधानमंत्री श्री नरेंद्र मोदी की अध्यक्षता में आर्थिक मामलों की मंत्रीमंडलीय समिति (सीसीईए) ने रबी विपणन मौसम (आरएमएस) 2021-22 की सभी अधिदेशित रबी फसलों के न्यूनतम समर्थन मूल्यों (एमएसपी) में वृद्धि संबंधी प्रस्ताव को मंजूरी दे दी है। न्यूनतम समर्थन मूल्य में यह वृध्दि स्वामीनाथन आयोग की अनुशंसाओं के अनुरुप हैं।
- Certification of Bulls, Registration of Semen Stations and AI Service Providers in Tamil Nadu - Certification of Bulls, Registration of Semen Stations and AI Service Providers in Tamil Nadu Tamil Nadu Bovine Breeding Act 2019 “bovine” means and includes cow, bull, bullock and buffalo; “artificial insemination” […]
- Contract Agreement of new Agricultural Laws is for crops and not for land - Launching a campaign from his Lok Sabha constituency in support of the Farmers Laws brought in by the Modi Govt and against the disinformation being spread by the Congress Party, Dr Jitendra Singh was addressing the Party workers, Sarpanches and BDC Chairmen from the border villages and other areas of districts Kathua and Udhampur.
- Damage to Crops due to Locust Attack in India - During 2019-20, locust attack was reported in some districts of Rajasthan and Gujarat. Rajasthan Government has reported that a total area of 1,79,584 hectares of 8 districts of the state was affected by locust attack during 2019-20. The State Government of Gujarat has reported that crop loss due to locust attack was observed in a total area of 19,313 hectares of 2 districts of the State during the year 2019-20.
- Directorate of Arecanut & Spices Development reported Cardamom Cultivation in India - Directorate of Arecanut & Spices Development (DASD) has reported that the Cardamom plantation sector has been affected due to the outbreak of COVID 19 and consequent lockdown and restrictions imposed to contain the spread of the pandemic.
- FARMERS (EMPOWERMENT AND PROTECTION)AGREEMENT ON PRICE ASSURANCE AND FARM SERVICES BILL 2020 - The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 which seeks to replace the Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Ordinance, 2020 (Ord. 11 of 2020)
- FARMERS’ PRODUCE TRADE AND COMMERCE (PROMOTION AND FACILITATION) BILL 2020 - A Bill to provide for the creation of an ecosystem where the farmers and traders enjoy the freedom of choice relating to sale and purchase of farmers’ produce which facilitates remunerative prices through competitive alternative trading channels;
- First Advance Estimates for Kharif foodgrain production in India is estimated at 144.52 MT for 2020-21 - The First Advance Estimates of production of major Kharif crops for 2020-21 have been released by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare on 22nd September, 2020. The assessment of production of different crops is based on the data received from States and validated with information available from other sources.
- FSSAI has developed guidelines for safe fruit ripener - The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has developed a Guidance Note No.04/2018 on "ARTIFICIAL RIPENING OF FRUITS – Ethylene gas- A safe fruit ripener” and shared through its website i.e. http://www.fssai.gov.in and social media handles.
- Irrigation and Irrigated Land in India - The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare implements Per Drop More Crop (PDMC) component of PMKSY which focuses on water use efficiency at farm level through precision/micro irrigation. Besides promoting precision irrigation (Drip and Sprinkler Irrigation System) and better on-farm water management practices to optimize the use of available water resources, this component also supports micro level water storage or water conservation/management activities to supplement Micro Irrigation.
- Kharif crops sown on 1082.22 lakh ha area in India; increase in area coverage by 7.15%- 29/08/2020 - Sowing Area Coverage of Kharif Crops : as on 28.08.2020, the total Kharif crops has been sown on 1082.22 lakh ha area against 1009.98 lakh ha area during the corresponding period of last year, thus, increase in area coverage by 7.15% compared to corresponding period of last year in the country.
- LS passed Farmers’ Bills to access direct market, high prices and MSP will continue - Parliament today passed two bills aimed at transforming agriculture in the country and raising farmers’ incomes. The Farmers' Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020 and The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 which were passed by Lok Sabha on 17th September 2020, were passed by the Rajya Sabha also today.
- No centralized monitoring system for cold storage facilities for farmers and traders - The information regarding capacity utilization, real time data regarding availability, cost etc on cold storage facilities for farmers and traders etc. is not centrally maintained by the Ministry. There is no real-time monitoring System. Government is implementing following schemes under which financial assistance is provided for setting up of cold storages throughout the country to bridge the gap between availability and required cold storage capacity
- Organic farming in India 2020 - Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY): The scheme promotes cluster based organic farming with PGS certification. Cluster formation, training, certification and marketing are supported under the scheme. Assistance of Rs.50,000 per ha /3 years is provided out of which 62% i.e., Rs. 31,000 is given as incentive to a farmer towards organic inputs.
- Rules For Computation Of Net Agricultural Income-2020 - Finance Act 2020 Rules For Computation Of Net Agricultural Income Net Agricultural Income “net agricultural income” in relation to a person, means the total amount of agricultural income, from whatever […]
Categories: Civil Service