UK Prime Minister appointed Michael Ellis as Attorney General and Michael Tomlinson MP as Solicitor General (07/09/2022)
7 September 2022
The Prime Minister has appointed Rt Hon Michael Ellis QC MP as Attorney General for England and Wales, and Michael Tomlinson MP as Solicitor General.
The Attorney General, Rt Hon Michael Ellis QC MP said:
I am honoured to have been appointed as Her Majesty’s Attorney General for England and Wales and delighted to join the Prime Minister’s Cabinet which will get our economy growing, deal with the energy crisis and put the health service on a firm footing. I look forward to working again with the superb civil servants in the Attorney General’s Office who will support me in my role as Attorney General, making law and politics work together.
I am also delighted to take up my role as Advocate General for Northern Ireland. Strengthening our Union, protecting the security and prosperity of all its nations, and levelling up every part of the country are important to me. I look forward to working with my fellow Law Officers as we carry out our functions across the whole of the United Kingdom.
The Rt Hon Michael Ellis QC MP
The Rt Hon Michael Ellis QC MP was appointed Attorney General on 6 September 2022.
He was appointed Paymaster General from 16 September 2021 to 6 September 2022. He was also Minister for the Cabinet Office from 8 February 2022 to 6 September 2022.
He was Solicitor General from 26 July 2019 to 2 March 2021, and re-appointed to that role from 10 September 2021 to 15 September 2021. He was Attorney General from 2 March 2021 to 10 September 2021 while Suella Braverman was designated as a Minister on Leave.
He was previously Minister of State at the Department for Transport from 23 May 2019 to 25 July 2019. He was Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport from January 2018 to May 2019.
He was Deputy Leader of the House of Commons from 17 July 2016 to 8 January 2018.
He was elected Conservative MP for Northampton North in May 2010.
Michael Tomlinson MP
Michael Tomlinson MP was appointed Solicitor General on 7 September 2022.
He was previously a Vice Chamberlain of HM Household (Government Whip) between 8 July 2022 and 7 September 2022, and Government Whip (Lord Commissioner of HM Treasury) between 14 February 2020 and 8 July 2022.
He has also served as:
- Minister of State for Vulnerable Children & Families at the Department for Education (2016 to 2017)
- Minster of State for Children & Families (2015 to 2016)
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Children & Families (2012 to 2015)
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Home Secretary (2010 to 2012)
- Chair of CAFCASS (2018 to 2019)
- Chair of the Child Safeguarding Practice Review Panel (2018 to 2020)
And was also served as:
- A member of the Children, Schools and Families Select Committee
- A member of the Joint Committee on Human Rights
- Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Groups on Adoption and Fostering, Looked-after Children and Care Leavers
- Vice Chairman for the Runaway and Missing Children Group
You must be logged in to post a comment.