SC allows two rape victims to abort, orders preservation of fetus for DNA test to help nail accused. The order passed by A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices Amitava Roy and A M Khanwilkar ordered termination of their pregnancies, which were beyond the permissible period of 20 weeks under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971.[20109.2017]
- Advocate Ram Jetha Malani retires from the profession.
- Justice Dipak Misra: First top judge with Z-category cover
- Dipak Misra, the Man behind Nation Anthem ruling to be next CJI
- Netas invoke privacy Right in attempt to stop disclosure of spouse’s information
Statute, Rule, Ordinance & Notification Watch
- THE ADMIRALTY (JURISDICTION AND SETTLEMENT OF MARITIME CLAIMS) ACT, 2017 has been notified on 9th August, 2017
- 6th September Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Public-private Partnership) Act, 2017 was enforced
- Code on Wages Bill 2017 has been introduced reform Labour law in India
- Employees Compensation (Amendment) Act, 2017 Receives President’s Assent
- Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Bill, 2016 has been Passed
- Adoption Regulations, 2017 became effective from 16 January 2017
Finance Act 2017- following Acts have been amended:-
- AMENDMENTS TO THE INDIAN TRUSTS ACT, 1882
- AMENDMENTS TO THE INDIAN POST OFFICE ACT, 1898
- AMENDMENTS TO THE RESERVE BANK OF INDIA ACT, 1934
- AMENDMENTS TO THE REPRESENTATION OF THE PEOPLE ACT, 1951
- AMENDMENT TO THE SECURITIES CONTRACTS (REGULATION) ACT, 1956
- AMENDMENTS TO THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE BOARD OF INDIA ACT, 1992[major]
- AMENDMENT TO THE DEPOSITORIES ACT, 1996
- AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYMENT AND SETTLEMENT SYSTEMS ACT, 2007
- AMENDMENT TO THE COMPANIES ACT, 2013[minor]
- AMENDMENTS TO THE OIL INDUSTRY (DEVELOPMENT) ACT, 1974
- AMENDMENTS TO THE INDUSTRIAL DISPUTES ACT, 1947 AND THE
EMPLOYEES’ PROVIDENT FUNDS AND MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS ACT, 1952
- AMENDMENTS TO THE COPYRIGHT ACT, 1957 AND THE TRADE MARKS ACT, 1999
- AMENDMENTS TO THE RAILWAY CLAIMS TRIBUNAL ACT, 1987 AND THE RAILWAYS ACT, 1989.
- AMENDMENTS TO THE SMUGGLERS AND FOREIGN EXCHANGE MANIPULATORS (FORFEITURE OF PROPERTY) ACT, 1976 AND THE FOREIGN EXCHANGE MANAGEMENT ACT, 1999.
- AMENDMENTS TO THE AIRPORTS AUTHORITY OF INDIA ACT, 1994 AND THE CONTROL OF NATIONAL HIGHWAYS (LAND AND TRAFFIC) ACT, 2002.
- India’s largest e-commerce marketplace Flipkart is looking to extend its lead over rival Amazon during this festive season by targeting a 70% market share in the domestic online shopping space.An online marketplace (or online e-commerce marketplace) is a type of e-commerce site where product or service information is provided by multiple third parties, whereas transactions are processed by the marketplace operator.[20.09.2017]
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has empowered stock exchanges to conduct forensic audits on listed companies which seem dubious, being suspected of use as conduits for illicit fund flow.A forensic audit is an examination and evaluation of a firm’s or individual’s financial information for use as evidence in court. A forensic audit can be conducted in order to prosecute a party for fraud, embezzlement or other financial claims.[20.09.2017]
- Sebi is likely to discuss a proposal for extending stock market trading hours. The stock market in India currently opens at 9 am and closes at 3.30 pm.
- The Supreme Court today referred to a five-judge Constitution bench the question whether a Parsi woman automatically gets converted to Hinduism after marrying a Hindu man under the Special Marriage Act. [10-10-2017]
- In a setback to the West Bengal government, the Calcutta high court on Thursday allowed immersion of Durga idols on all days from Vijayadashami on September 30, including on Muharram on October 1.[20.09.2017]
- Babri Masjid case’s chief litigant Mahant Bhaskar Das is dead[Sep 16, 2017 ]
- Apex body of sadhus Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad puts out list of ‘fake’ babas[10.09.2017]