Name and territory of the Union
1. Name and territory of the Union.
(1) India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States.
(2) The States and the territories thereof shall be as specified in the First Schedule.
(3) The territory of India shall comprise-
(a) The territories of the States;
(b) the Union territories specified in the First Schedule; and
(c) such other territories as may be acquired.
- In re: The Berubari union and exchange of enclaves [AIR 1960 SC 845 : (1960) 3 SCR 250]
- N. Masthan Sahib AND OTHERS[AIR 1962 SC 797 : (1962) 1 Suppl. SCR 981]
- Maganbhai Ishwarbhai Patel[AIR 1969 SC 783 : (1969) 3 SCR 254 ]
- Sarbananda Sonowal [AIR 2005 SC 2920]
- State of West Bengal and OTHERS Vs The Committee for Protection of Democratic Rights, West Bengal and OTHERS[AIR 2010 SC 1476 : JT 2010 (2) SC 352 ]
Complete list of Indian states:
- Andhra Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal
Full list of Union Territories in India:
With the inclusion of J&K and Ladakh, here is the full list of UTs in India:
- Andaman and Nicobar
- Daman and Diu
- Dadar and Nagar Haveli
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Jammu and Kashmir [Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act 2019]
- Ladakh [Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act 2019]
Map published by Govt of India 2nd November 2019
India as on 15th August 1947
India as on 1920
Native Indian rulers were sovereign and they parted their sovereignty by accession and integration: SC