- September 26, 2018– A five-judge constitution bench, which declined the demand to refer it to a seven-judge bench to reconsider its 2006 judgement that had put certain conditions for granting quota benefits in job promotions for SC/ST employees. Held that the states were not required to ‘collect quantifiable data’ reflecting the backwardness among these communities.
- September 25, 2018 -A five-judge Constitution bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra in its unanimous verdict said this ‘unsettlingly increasing trend’ has the propensity to ‘send shivers down the spine of a constitutional democracy’.“A time has come that the Parliament must make law to ensure that persons facing serious criminal cases do not enter into the political stream”.
- September 24, 2018-Bishop Mulakkal remanded to 12-day judicial custody
- September 24, 2018-SC refers female genital mutilation case to 5-judge Constitution Bench-A bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra considered the submissions of Dawoodi Bohra Women’s Association for Religious Freedom (DBWRF) that female circumcision has been practised by Dawoodi Bohra community for centuries and its validity has to be examined by a larger bench to ascertain whether it was an essential religious practice protected under the Constitution.
- SEPTEMBER 15, 2018 : The Supreme Court on Friday stayed a Delhi High Court order granting bail to a man whom the NIA alleges to be a “fundraiser and a conduit to finance terrorism in Jammu & Kashmir”
- Sep 14, 2018-Vatican City: Pope Francis has ordered an investigation of an American bishop accused of sexual misconduct with adults and accepted his resignation, the Vatican and US Church officials said on Thursday.The bishop who resigned is Michael J. Bransfield, 75, of the diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, West Virginia.
- Sep 14, 2018: Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan[22nd Pakistani Prime Minister] said the ISI is “our first line of defence” during a visit to the spy agency’s headquarters for the first time.
- Srilanka: Animal sacrifices in Hindu temples in Sri Lanka could be banned after the Cabinet approved a proposal Wednesday to enact laws banning the “primitive” methods of worship, amid calls from the Hindu community to make the ritual a “punishable offence” in the Buddhist-majority country.
- TN governor has no power to release the seven convicts who killed Indian PM Rajiv Gandhi.
- Power NPAs: SC transfers all pleas challenging RBI notification to itself.
- In Kerala nun rape case the accused Catholic Bishop is till roaming freely.Police remains inactive.
- Currency, equities’ woes deepen as rupee closes at 71.76 against dollar, even it can hit at Rs. 90/-
- Adhaar Database hacking news has been denied by authority.
- Herald case: HC scraps Sonia, Rahul’s pleas against tax reassessment
- Delhi Government launches doorstep delivery of 40 govt services
- Punjab assembly passed anti-sacrilege bills.
- Indian rejected homosexuality- SC judgment has little effect.
- Subramanian Swamy Backs Mohan Bhagwat’s Call For Hindu Unity.
- BSF DG: Bengal illegally sheltering Rohingiyas.
- 28.08.2018: Several activists were arrested in connection with Maoist violence. Searches were carried out at the residences of poet Varavara Rao in Hyderabad, activists Vernon Gonzalves and Arun Ferreira in Mumbai, trade unionist and lawyer Sudha Bhardwaj in Faridabad and Chhattisgarh and civil liberties activist Gautam Navalakha in Delhi, a police official in Pune said. They were all arrested after the raids.
- 28.08.2018 : Law Minister Asks CJI Dipak Misra to Recommend His Successor’s Name. Justice Mishra is going to retire on 2nd October this year.
- 23 August 2018: The professional social networking site LinkedIn owned by Microsoft, says it will open its vast trove of data to academic researchers.
The company is calling for academics to submit project ideas in three broad areas: analytics, economics and artificial intelligence. It will select teams on a rolling basis, Perisic said, with probably no more than a dozen teams being allowed to access to the data at one time.
- Congress Spokesperson Jaiveer Shergill on Wednesday 22 august 2018, received a cease and desist notice from businessman Anil Ambani-led group of companies asking him to restrain from speaking on the Rafale deal or face legal consequences.
- The United Kingdom has confirmed to the Indian agencies that the Rs. 13,578-crore Punjab National Bank case fugitive Nirav Modi is in England.
- Supreme Court sought the Uttar Pradesh government’s response on a petition challenging the dropping of the 2007 Gorakhpur riots case against Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
- The Supreme Court ordered the Principal Secretary (Home) of Rajasthan to clarify the Vasundhara Raje government’s position of the action taken against officials in the aftermath of the lynching of Rakbar Khan by cow vigilantes.
- The shelter homes in Bihar across the state will function under the direct control of the department. There will be no role for NGOs in running and managing shelter homes in the State.
- Mandsaur 7 year old girl rape case: A special Court pronounces death sentence to the two accused Irfan and Asif.
The charge sheet was filed on July 12, and the trial held from July 30 to August 8. As per Deputy director (public prosecution) Bapu Singh Thakur the prosecution presented 37 witnesses during the proceedings. The final arguments were heard on August 14, and the judgment reserved for August 21. Additional district and 2nd Addl Dist & Sessions judge Nisha Gupta pronounced them guilty.
- July 27, 2018: The high-level panel on data protection framework submitted its report to the government, suggesting steps for safeguarding personal information, defining obligations of data processors as also rights of individuals, and mooting penalties for violation.Headed by Justice B N Srikrishna, the panel handed the report to IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, wrapping up nearly one year of deliberations that touched upon sensitive and controversial issues.
- 16th July 2018: The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has issued its Recommendations on “Privacy, Security and Ownership of Data in the Telecom Sector.
- Muslim Personal Law Board wants parallel Court
- The Supreme Court of India on 09/07/2018 Monday said the abolition of death penalty by the British Parliament, several Latin American nations and Australian states was no ground to erase capital punishment from the statutes in India.
- The Philippine president, who recently sparked outrage for calling God stupid, has courted new controversy in his largely Roman Catholic country by saying he will resign if anybody can prove that God exists [July 7, 2018]
- Britain’s Queen Elizabeth granted royal assent [under Royal Assent Act 1967] to Prime Minister Theresa May’s flagship Brexit legislation [European Union Withdrawal Act 2018 ] on JUNE 26, 2018, ending months of debate over the legislation that will formally end the country’s European Union membership.
- Supreme Court rules that Trump’s travel ban is constitutional. The 5-4 opinion written by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court finds that Trump’s travel restriction fell “squarely” within the president’s authority. [See the executive order]
PAGE 1 2
LAW AT MARKET
The country’s largest port developer Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd. (APSEZ) has executed a share purchase agreement with Larsen and Toubro Ltd. (L&T) to acquire 97% stake in Marine Infrastructure Developers Pvt. Ltd. (MIDPL), the developer and operator of Kattupalli Port near Chennai, for ₹1,950 crore.
India INX is now India’s first International Exchange set up at GIFT City and was inaugurated by Shri Narendra Modi, on 9th Jan, 2017. India INX offer a diversified portfolio of products and technology services at a cost which is far more competitive to Indian exchanges as well as other global exchanges. India International Exchange IFSC Limited (India INX) and India International Clearing Corporation IFSC Limited (India ICC) are wholly owned subsidiary of the BSE Limited. India INX and the India ICC have commenced mock trading from India INX’s data centre at GIFT City from December 17, 2016. The International exchange received final approval from Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) on December 30, 2016.
June 12, 2018 -WASHINGTON —Federal judge Richard J. Leon of United States District Court in Washington on Tuesday approved the blockbuster merger between AT&T and Time Warner, rebuffing the government’s effort to stop the $85.4 billion deal, in a decision The judge, observed that the Justice Department failed to prove that the telecom company’s acquisition of Time Warner would lead to fewer choices for consumers and higher prices for television and internet services. [Read more]
Human cells resist gene editing by turning on defenses against cancer, ceasing reproduction and sometimes dying, two teams of scientists have found reported in the journal Nature Medicine
- The national level engineering and medical entrance examinations – JEE Main and NEET – will be held twice a year from 2019 in online mode. Henceforth Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main and National Eligibility cum Entrance Examination (NEET) will be held by newly formed examination conducting agency, National Testing Agency (NTA).
Apart from NEET and JEE Main, NTA will also conduct National Eligibility Test (NET), Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) and Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) exams from now on.
- President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un are set to meet face to face in Singapore to discuss denuclearization of the Korean peninsula. [12.06.2018] READ MORE.…
- Pre-Iron age [2000 BCE] chariot found in an excavation in Bagpat District of UP gives ‘new dimension to the Indian history’. READ MORE …
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) admitted the insolvency plea filed by the State Bank of India (SBI)
- Unwarranted invasion of privacy of an individual comes u/s clause (j) of Section 8(1) of the RTI Act, shall not be disclosed [ Central Information Commission Dated 06.06.2018 ]
- The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) UK has turned the concept into a formal requirement for the nine largest current account providers in the UK (CMA9) with the launch of the Open Banking initiative.
With the government to provide autonomous vehicle legislation by the second half of 2018, Singapore will be at the forefront of self-driving vehicles testing.